|Multi Request||Anonymous + general hacktivists 2009-2018|
|Submitted||May 29, 2019|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
Documents mentioning or relating to Anonymous (the hacker movement/collective, see below) or hacktivism (defined as hacking as a form of protest and/or activism) generated between 1 January 2009 and 1 January 2019, including but not limited to:
* Internal reports, bulletins, warnings and alerts relating to Anonymous or hacktivism
* Reports from the appropriate IT (Information Technology) or computer offices regarding possible cyber attacks by Anonymous or other hacktivists
* Reports, bulletins, warnings and alerts relating to or mentioning Anonymous or hacktivism sent to or received from any federal law enforcement or intelligence agencies or any fusion center
* Incident reports investigating possible hacking activity falling within the office's jurisdiction and allegedly carried out by members of Anonymous or other hacktivist groups
* Materials generated as a result of any suspected or actual compromise, breach or "dox" (revealing of personal or private information) by Anonymous or other hacktivists
Anonymous has been described by government agencies as a non-hierarchical hacktivist collective, Anonymous uses hacking (and arguably cracking) techniques to register political protest in campaigns known as “#ops.” Best known for their distributed denial of services (DDoS) attacks, past activities have included attacks against the Church of Scientology; Visa, Paypal, and others who withdrew their services from WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange after that group began releasing war documents; #OpTunisia and others purporting to support the Arab Spring; and a campaign that brought down the website of the Westboro Baptist Church. #Ops are usually marked with the release of a video of a reader in a Guy Fawkes mask using a computer generated voice. See attached for additional background information.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 20 business days, as the statute requires.
This message is to confirm your request submission to the FOIAonline application: View Request. Request information is as follows: (https://www.foiaonline.gov/foiaonline/action/public/submissionDetails?trackingNumber=EOUSA-2019-003108&type=request)
* Tracking Number: EOUSA-2019-003108
* Requester Name: Emma Best
* Date Submitted: 05/31/2019
* Request Status: Submitted
* Description: Please See attachment for description
Your recent request for records from the Executive Office for United States Attorneys (EOUSA) has been received. Before the Executive Office can begin processing your request, it is necessary for you to correct one or more deficiencies. Please comply with the paragraph(s) checked below:
1. [ ] A requester must provide a notarized example of his/her signature. This insures that information pertaining to an individual is released only to that person. A form is enclosed for your use.
2. [ X ] ** The files and records of United States Attorneys are maintained in over one hundred separate offices throughout the United States. Please identify the specific United States Attorney’s office(s), where you believe records may be located. This would be primarily the district(s) in which a prosecution or litigation occurred.
3. [ ] The signature of the requester or subject of the request should be notarized by someone other than the requester or his/her representative.
Once you have corrected the above deficiencies, please submit a new request for the documents. This is a final determination and your request for information has been closed. When we have received your new, corrected request, we will open a new file for you. Please send your new, corrected request to the address above. ** Please describe the records sought in sufficient detail.
[ ] Enclosure(s)
Your request for Fee Waiver for the FOIA request EOUSA-2019-003108 has been denied. Additional details for this request are as follows:
* Request Created on: 05/30/2019
* Request Description: Please See attachment for description
* Fee Waiver Original Justification: As my primary purpose is to inform about government activities by
reporting on it and making the raw data available, I request that fees
* Fee Waiver Disposition Reason: Does not meet standard.