|Submitted||April 30, 2013|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Iowa Open Records Law (Code Chapter 22), I hereby request the following records:
Listings of those persons who are issued a concealed handgun permit for the past five years. If possible, please send listings segregated by year of permit application/issuance.
I also request that, if appropriate, fees be waived as I believe this request is in the public interest. The requested documents will be made available to the general public free of charge as part of the public information service at MuckRock.com, processed by a representative of the news media/press and is made in the process of news gathering and not for commercial usage.
In the event that fees cannot be waived, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days, as the statute requires.
Thank you for your inquiry. The Department of Public Safety is dedicated to responding to all requests for information. Before we can proceed in fulfilling your request, I need to explain a few variables and receive your guidance.
1. Explain the records available pursuant to your request.
2. The manner in which these records are stored.
3. The process we would need to follow and the cost associated with your request.
· Records Available: Pursuant to the Iowa Code, the Iowa Department of Public Safety receives a paper record from each Iowa County Sheriff each month, (assuming they issued CCW permits during the month.) I have attached the DPS form for your reference and to provide the type of information listed on the form. However, I must also explain the County Sheriff is not required to use the DPS form-only to submit the information listed on the form. As a result, we receive several different formats from Iowa’s 99 County Sheriffs. Pursuant to our policy and Iowa law, we retain these records for three years. Depending on the destruction process we will likely have these records stored for a minimum of three years and possibly up to four years. Finally, you requested records for application and issuance. Because the County Sheriffs issued the overwhelming majority of CCW permits, DPS does not have records related to those applications not receiving approval. DPS possesses records only for CCW permits issued via the process outlined earlier in this message.
· Manner of Storage: The DPS does not have an electronic database, nor are we required to maintain these records electronically. The records you requested exist as paper copies only.
· Fulfilling your request: In order to fulfill your request, we have two options: 1) You may examine the records by visiting our office @ 215 E 7th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319. 2) We can copies these records @ $. 15 per copy plus the hourly cost for a clerical staff employee for the actual time needed to provide the record. In order to meet the time lines under Chapter 22, this may require overtime compensation for our clerical staff as they manage their daily duties along with your request. As a reference, we recently completed a similar request for these records for the 2011 and 2012. The total cost was $1,100. I have not yet estimated the cost to add 2013 YTD, 2010 and those records not yet destroyed from 2009. I can certainly provide an updated estimate including these years should you elect to continue based upon this early estimate.
I look forward to receiving your guidance regarding this request for information.
Thank you for your clarification and quick response.
A question: when the previous request was fulfilled, were the documents scanned or photocopied? If they were scanned, does the scanned document exist as an electronic file? If so, this could be sent in addition to 2013 records, and substantially decrease the search and segregation time.
Thank you for your email. I will be out of the office beginning Thursday, May 2, 2013 through Monday, May 6, 2013. I will not have access to email frequently. Should you need immediate assistance please contact Jessica Lown, Communications Manager, Public Information Bureau @ (515) 725-6189 or after hours @ (515) 208-7679.
The previous request was filled by copying the records. The records were not scanned, thus we do not have any electronic copy.
Please provide guidance so that we might proceed in meeting your request.