|Submitted||June 9, 2017|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Ohio Open Records Law, I hereby request the following records:
Any and all statistics, data, reports, audits, policies, and procedures pertaining to the following items regarding sexual assault evidence collection (SAEC) kits (also known as "rape kits") and processing:
• all standard operating procedures regarding the SAEC process
• any written policies or procedures regarding department practices on the acquisition of or handling of rape kit evidence, including protocols for its collection, testing, and delegation and transfer to all other possibly relevant locations, laboratories, or agencies
• the number of kits collected and booked into evidence from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of kits that have been processed by a public or private crime or forensic laboratory or equivalent processing location from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of unprocessed kits in any storage facilities currently under the department’s jurisdiction and control, including those held by medical personnel or at external laboratory locations
• any materials regarding the status or ultimate disposition of cases in which a kit was collected. Please include all available segregable data.
• all audits involving this agency regarding the collection or backlog of SAEC kits
• all proposed alterations or yet-to-be-implemented changes to the policies and procedures regarding the collection, testing, and use of SAEC kits
If there any questions about this request, please feel free to call us at the MuckRock office at 617-299-1832.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I would request your response within ten (10) business days.
I am in receipt of your letter dated June 9, 2017 (attached).
Your request does not match a method of retrieval of Sheriff's Office records. However, attached is a list of rape kits that have been collected and are in the custody of the Hamilton County Sheriff's Property Office. Please note, the first two pages indicate rape kits that have not been sent to the Coroner's Lab for testing. The 3rd and 4th pages are kits that have been sent to Coroner's Lab (TO COR).
Also attached is a copy of Hamilton County Sheriff Patrol Division Policy Procedure Memo #4 and Hamilton County Sheriff Patrol Division Policy Procedure Memo #7.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please forward your request to my attention.
Hamilton County Sheriff's Office
1000 Sycamore Street, Room 110
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
513-946-6406 (O); 513-946-6402 (F)