|Submitted||March 20, 2018|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, I hereby request the following records:
Any and all statistics, data, reports, audits, policies, and procedures pertaining to the following items regarding sexual assault evidence collection (SAEC) kits (also known as "rape kits") and processing:
• all standard operating procedures regarding the SAEC process
• any written policies or procedures regarding department practices on the acquisition of or handling of rape kit evidence, including protocols for its collection, testing, and delegation and transfer to all other possibly relevant locations, laboratories, or agencies
• the number of kits collected and booked into evidence from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of kits that have been processed by a public or private crime or forensic laboratory or equivalent processing location from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of unprocessed kits in any storage facilities currently under the department’s jurisdiction and control, including those held by medical personnel or at external laboratory locations
• any materials regarding the status or ultimate disposition of cases in which a kit was collected. Please include all available segregable data.
• all audits involving this agency regarding the collection or backlog of SAEC kits
• all proposed alterations or yet-to-be-implemented changes to the policies and procedures regarding the collection, testing, and use of SAEC kits
If there any questions about this request, please feel free to call us at the MuckRock office at 617-299-1832.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I would request your response within ten (10) business days.
Thank you for contacting the Duluth Police Department. This e-mail address is not monitored 24 hours a day. If this is an emergency, you need to have an officer respond to your location, or if you need to file a police report of any kind, please call 911.
If you need a copy of a police report, please contact our records division at firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com> or call 218-730-5590.
We will respond to your e-mail as soon as possible.
We have received your request and are working on a cost estimate to share with you prior to proceeding.
Lt. Mike Ceynowa
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Minnesota Government Data Practices Act request, copied below, and originally submitted on March 20, 2018. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
Thank you for following up on this request. We have been working on a cost estimate and have determined that it may take at least 120 hours to
search for and retrieve all of the data that you have requested. The City of Duluth charges $25 per hour for this work with the first hour being free. The
City of Duluth will require payment of the costs before releasing the data. Please confirm that you want us to proceed with your request.
You had also requested a copy of our written policy regarding rape kit evidence. I am providing you a copy of our current policy entitled Sexual Assault
Investigations by Patrol Officers, Policy 602.
We will wait to hear further from you regarding your request.
To Whom It May Concern,
Attached please find the information requested by your company.
Executive Assistant to the Chief
City of Duluth - Police Department
2030 N. Arlington Avenue
Duluth, MN 55811
[City of Duluth logo] [2019 Duluth Police Bordered]