|Oct. 13, 2023
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Iowa Open Records Law, I hereby request the following records:
1. the total number of use of force incidents in 2022.
2. the total number of use of force incidents, separated by type of force, in 2022 (for example, information that specifies the number of taser incidents in 2022, baton incidents in 2022, etc.)
3. the total number of civilian complaints against law enforcement that were reported and the total number sustained for 2022.
4. the total number of civilian complaints alleging law enforcement use of excessive force that were reported and the total number sustained for 2022.
5. the total number of civilian complaints alleging biased policing or racial profiling that were reported and the total number sustained for 2022.
6. the total number of civilian complaints alleging criminal conduct that were reported and the total number sustained for 2022.
7. the total number of officer-involved shootings in 2022, both fatal and non-fatal.
8. the total number of people who police used force against, broken down by race/ethnicity, in 2022.
When available, I would appreciate being sent individualized data in this request in spreadsheet format. If individualized data are unavailable, please send information that includes aggregate statistics for the item instead.
Note that my requests for civilian complaints are specifically for civilian complaints, please do not include complaints filed by one officer/the department against another officer.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days, as the statute requires.
Thank you for your request; it has been forwarded to the Police Records Division for a response. If you have further questions, staff there can be reached at (319) 286-5350.
Please note that if the request is anticipated to require more than 30 minutes of staff time to fulfill, department staff will contact you with an estimated cost per the City of Cedar Rapids Open Records Policy<http://cratwork/employee_resources/public_records_requests.php>:
An hourly fee will be charged for the actual expenses in retrieving records, supervising the examination and copying of requested records, and for other necessary activities undertaken to make records available when such time exceeds 30 minutes. The hourly rate for such staff time will be charged the rate of $20 per hour pro-rated to the nearest 15 minutes.
Jeana M. Lewie (she/her)
Council Proceedings Specialist
City Clerk’s Office
City of Cedar Rapids
101 First Street SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
Office: (319) 286-5060
Good afternoon! Attached is the data you requested. There is no charge for this.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Have a great day!
Records Division Supervisor/Accreditation Manager
Cedar Rapids Police Department
505 1st Street SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404