|Submitted||Sept. 29, 2016|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Massachusetts Public Records Law, M.G.L. c.66, §10, I hereby request the following records:
* Any policies and procedures for storing, handling, and maintaining evidence
* Any policies and procedures for conducting audits of evidence
* All audits of evidence that have been conducted between January 1, 2012 and the present; if no audits occurred during this period, then please provide the most recent audit that was conducted prior to 2012
I also request that, if appropriate, fees be waived as we believe this request is in the public interest, as suggested but not stipulated by the recommendations of the Massachusetts Supervisor of Public Records. The requested documents will be made available to the general public free of charge as part of the public information service at MuckRock.com, processed by a representative of the news media/press and is made in the process of news gathering and not for commercial usage.
I expect the request to be filled in an accessible format, including for screen readers, which provide text-to-speech for persons unable to read print. Files that are not accessible to screen readers include, for example, .pdf image files as well as physical documents.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 calendar days, as the statute requires.
In response to your request related to policies, procedures and audits of evidence, the Cambridge Police Department has attached a number of documents to address your needs.
1) Two (2) Property and Evidence Control Policy and Procedure documents. One is an existing document the department is currently utilizing, while the other is a new document the department is transitioning to. Within the current document, you will find an Evidence/Property Report form.
2) Five (5) Monthly audit documents between 2012-2016.
3) One (1) compilation of Annual Evidence & Property Audit recap reports filed by the department’s Professional Standards Unit between 2013-2015.
Director of Communications
Cambridge Police Department