|Submitted||Oct. 28, 2022|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
1. the total number of use of force incidents, separated by type of force and year used in 2021 (for example, information that specifies the number of taser incidents in 2021, baton incidents in 2021, etc.). Please include as part of this a breakdown of how many use of force incidents in each year were related to law enforcement operations and how many were related to correctional/custodial operations.
2. the total number of civilian complaints alleging any form of law enforcement misconduct that were reported and the total number sustained in 2021.
3. the total number of civilian complaints alleging law enforcement use of excessive force that were reported and the total number sustained in 2021.
4. the total number of civilian complaints alleging biased policing or racial profiling that were reported and the total number sustained in 2021.
5. the total number of civilian complaints alleging criminal conduct that were reported and the total number sustained in 2021.
6. the total number of officer involved shootings in 2021, both fatal and non-fatal.
When available, I would appreciate being sent individualized data for each item in this request in spreadsheet format. If individualized data are unavailable, please send information that includes aggregate statistics for the item instead.
Note that my requests for civilian complaints are specifically for civilian complaints alleging police misconduct, please do not include complaints filed by one officer/the department against another officer.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 3 business days, as the statute requires.
Nicole Kanu, a citizen of Arkansas, in coordination with Samuel Sinyangwe.
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Arkansas Freedom of Information Act request, copied below, and originally submitted on Oct. 28, 2022. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
We do not have a report created that can pull the information requested on your FOIA request.
A.C.A. 25-19-105(d)(2)(C) states: "A custodian is not required to compile information or create a record in response to a request." The FOIA does not establish any requirements in connection with the release of "information" that is not a record already in existence. Ark. AG Op. No. 2005-100.
Records Division Supervisor
ACIC Assistant TAC
Benton County Sheriff's Office
1300 SW 14th Street
Bentonville, AR 72712
Office: (479) 271-1010 (8:30 am-4:30 pm; M-F)
This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain highly sensitive and confidential information. It is intended only for the individual(s) named. If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.