|Submitted||July 19, 2016|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Colorado Open Records Act, I hereby request the following records:
Any and all policies, procedures, directives, memorandums, and any other guiding materials regarding matters pertaining to firearm acquisition, licensure, use, and transfer, including, but not limited to, the following:
• policies and procedures on the issuance of firearms permits and licenses. (Please note that this point is not a request for identities of individual permit/license holders, but is rather a request for governmental policies and parameters regarding the process and regulations by which one may obtain a license or permit. If separate strictures exist for each, provision of both would be greatly appreciated.)
• policies and procedures on the revocation of firearms permits and licenses.
• any and all available policies and procedures regarding local firearms policies. Please provide all such materials that alter or supplement departmental procedures.
Please include all available segregable data.
Please also provide all available data, statistics, or reports regarding matters pertaining to gun acquisition, licensure, use, and transfer, including, but not limited to, the following:
• the issuance of firearms permits and licenses.
• the revocation of firearms permits and licenses.
• the suspension of firearms permits and licenses.
• the renewal of firearms permits and licenses.
• incidents involving the use of a firearm.
If various policies or reports exist dependent on the type of firearm, provision of all applicable materials would be greatly appreciated. Should they be voluminous, provision of materials on rolling basis would be greatly appreciated.
Should your agency believe that any additional policies, procedures, reports or other analysis pertaining to firearm acquisition, licensure, use, transfer, deaths, incidents, or any related issues may reside with another agency or agencies, indication of such agencies would be greatly appreciated.
Please notify us if further clarification is necessary.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 3 business days, as the statute requires.
I received your request for open records. I would be happy to fulfill that request if you could be a little more narrowed. We, as a Sheriff's Office do not regulate firearms acquisitions, licensing, use and transfer of firearms. That is all regulated by federal and state law so we do not have any policy relating directly to that. We do enforce the law so there would be police reports related to that.
We do however issue concealed handgun permits and regulate those within Adams County. Is that what you are looking for? Also, we can provide incidents involving a firearm, but I would need a time frame for that. There would be a lot of reports on that and it would cost. I would have to send that to our records division and they could get you the cost for that.
Commander Susan Nielsen
Adams County Sheriff's Office
Professional Standards Division
Adams County Sheriff's Office
This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.