|Submitted||Feb. 23, 2020|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Government Records Access and Management Act, I hereby request the following records:
Public reports state that this department may have partnered with Banjo, an AI company. (https://kslnewsradio.com/1918508/utah-company-uses-artificial-intelligence-to-solve-crimes-in-seconds/). Public contracts indicate that Banjo is working widely with many state and local agencies in Utah: https://statecontracts.utah.gov/Contract/Details/AR3205-Specialized-Technology-Systems-and-Tools%7C3e43fd22-0950-45e4-8a32-c4a6df44edee.
Therefore, I hereby request the following records:
1) All instructional materials, presentations and presentation materials (including recorded video and audio, PowerPoint files, prepared remarks, and slides formats), and other guidance on the use of Banjo. This includes A) any notes taken during meetings that discussed the use of Banjo, B) any explanations (whether internally or externally generated) of how Banjo works, and C) any other document that has been used to help explain the use of Banjo, including internal documentation, public relations materials, and executive summaries.
2) A copy of any privacy impact assessments, use policies, standard operating procedures, data retention policies, legal opinions, warranties, non-disclosure agreements, contracts, liability waivers, insurance agreements, Requests for Proposals, Responses to Requests for Proposal, Memorandums of Understanding, Letters of Interest, usage policies, or informal agreements between the police department and Banjo.
3) A copy of any funding opportunity announcements, grant applications and grantor status/progress reports, reports to legislative bodies, annual reports that mention Banjo, as well as audit records, including but not limited to security audits of the software, misuse reports, and reports to oversight bodies.
4) Any digital communications including but not limited to emails and text messages) as well as documents, (including but not limited to PDF, word processing, excel, and slide documents) that mention Banjo.
5) Any case reports in which Banjo was used.
5) Any digital communications (including but not limited to emails and text messages) with Banjo representatives.
Please try to include any other miscellaneous documents that facilitate this police department's relationship with Banjo that don't neatly fall neatly into the above categories.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes. It will be used in the course of reporting for Motherboard, VICE’s science and technology website (www.motherboard.vice.com).
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days, as the statute requires.
Please see UDC's response to your GRAMA request.
Records Officer / GRAMA Coordinator
Utah Department of Corrections
14717 South Minuteman Drive
Draper, Utah 84020