|Tracking #||2017- 06- 236|
|Submitted||June 24, 2017|
|Due||July 24, 2017|
Dear FOIA Officer:
1. This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act ("FOIA"), 5 U.S.C. § 552, submitted to the Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC") of the United States Department of the Treasury ("Treasury").
2. I hereby request agency records related to OFAC's designation of the following entities, pursuant to Executive Order 13382, on July 1, 2005:
2.1. AEROSPACE INDUSTRIES ORGANIZATION (a.k.a. SAZMANE SANAYE HAVA FAZA; a.k.a. "AIO"), Langare Street, Nobonyad Square, Tehran, Iran [NPWMD]
2.2. ATOMIC ENERGY ORGANIZATION OF IRAN (a.k.a. SAZEMAN-E ENERGY ATOMI), P.O. Box 14144-1339, End of North Karegar Avenue, Tehran, Iran [NPWMD]
2.3. KOREA MINING DEVELOPMENT TRADING CORPORATION (a.k.a. CHANGGWANG SINYONG CORPORATION; a.k.a. EXTERNAL TECHNOLOGY GENERAL CORPORATION; a.k.a. NORTH KOREAN MINING DEVELOPMENT TRADING CORPORATION; a.k.a. "KOMID"), Central District, Pyongyang, Korea, North [NPWMD]
2.4. KOREA RYONBONG GENERAL CORPORATION (a.k.a. KOREA YONBONG GENERAL CORPORATION; f.k.a. LYONGAKSAN GENERAL TRADING CORPORATION), Pot'onggang District, Pyongyang, Korea, North; Rakwon-dong, Pothonggang District, Pyongyang, Korea, North [NPWMD]
2.5. SCIENTIFIC STUDIES AND RESEARCH CENTER (a.k.a. CENTRE D'ETUDES ET RECHERCHES; a.k.a. "SSRC"), P.O. Box 4470, Damascus, Syria [NPWMD]
2.6. SHAHID BAKERI INDUSTRIAL GROUP (a.k.a. "SBIG"), Tehran, Iran [NPWMD]
2.7. SHAHID HEMMAT INDUSTRIAL GROUP (a.k.a. "SHIG"), Damavand Tehran Highway, Tehran, Iran [NPWMD]
2.8. TANCHON COMMERCIAL BANK (f.k.a. CHANGGWANG CREDIT BANK; f.k.a. KOREA CHANGGWANG CREDIT BANK), Saemul 1-Dong Pyongchon District, Pyongyang, Korea, North [NPWMD]
3. The following constraints limit this FOIA request:
3.1. Only the OFAC Designation/Evidentiary Package documents related to these designated entities are requested;
3.2. Excluding any documents containing the agency’s deliberative material or recommendations;
3.3. Excluding any documents classified Top Secret (“TS”), Sensitive Compartmented Information (“SCI”), and/or Special Access Program (“SAP”); however,
3.4. Including all of OFAC’s responsive documents that are classified below the TS, SCI and/or SAP levels; for example, any documents marked Unclassified (“U”), Sensitive But Unclassified (“SBU”), For Official Use Only (“FOUO”), Confidential (“C”), Law Enforcement Sensitive (“LES”), and/or Secret (“S”).
4. Although FOIA has always presumed that government records are open to public inspection, the FOIA Improvement Act of 2016, Pub. L. 114-185, prohibits agencies from withholding records unless (1) “disclosure is prohibited by law” or (2) “the agency reasonably foresees that disclosure would harm an interest protected by” one of FOIA’s exemptions. 5 U.S.C. § 552(a)(8)(A). Thus, in addition to FOIA favoring disclosure and requiring its exemptions to be narrowly construed, Section 552(a)(8)(A) prohibits agencies from using their discretion to broadly withhold records merely because they believe an exemption could technically apply.
5. In order to expedite OFAC’s release of the requested documents, please disclose them on an interim, rolling basis as they become available; for example, without waiting for all of the agency’s relevant systems of record to be searched, or all of its relevant records to be processed. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
6. If OFAC’s processing costs for this request exceed $350.00, please notify me in advance so that I might consider paying any additional fees for a complete and accurate set of responsive documents. The requested documents will be made available to the general public and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
7. Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 20 business days, as the statute requires.
Please see the Department of the Treasury's receipt letter pertaining to your recently submitted FOIA request. Please refer to the information provided in the receipt letter when inquiring about your FOIA request.
U.S. Department of the Treasury
Government Information Specialist
Privacy, Transparency, and Records
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on June 24, 2017. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed. You had assigned it reference number #2017- 06- 236.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
The U.S. Department of the Treasury has received the information you submitted to the TREASFOIA@TREASURY.gov<mailto:TREASFOIA@TREASURY.gov> mailbox.
If you are submitting a FOIA request, this courtesy reply does not replace the acknowledgement letter which will include a FOIA case number once your request has been entered into our FOIA Request Tracking System.
If you are seeking the status of a pending FOIA request for which you have a FOIA case number, please call (202) 622-0930 to obtain the status of your request.
Please visit our FOIA Library at http://www.treasury.gov/FOIA/Pages/reading_room.aspx.
Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
FOIA No. 2017-06-159, 2017-06-236
OASIS No.: 945630
Dear Mr. Scantling,
Attached is OFAC's acknowledgement of your FOIA request numbers 2017-06-159 and 2017-06-236. As we explain in the attached, we have administratively closed FOIA No. 2017-06-159 as it is fully covered by your FOIA No. 2017-06-236.
If you have any questions regarding this matter, you may email OFACFOIAOffice@treasury.gov<mailto:OFACFOIAOffice@treasury.gov> or contact the FOIA Requester Service Center at 202-622-2500, option 3. Please reference the appropriate FOIA number in any future communications.
OFAC FOIA Office