Midwest Biological Research Foundation (Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration)

Rebecca Brewer filed this request with the Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration of the United States of America.
Multi Request Midwest Biological Research Foundation
Est. Completion None
Fix Required


From: Rebecca Brewer

To Whom It May Concern:

Pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request the following records:

Any and all medical records and any other correspondence containing Rebecca Lynn Brewer’s information-(including differentially privatized information and waivers of informed consent authorizations) that are associated with the MBRF (Midwest Biological Research Foundation). Please include the identities of any physicians, researchers, and biological engineering specialists that are affiliated with Rebecca and the M.B.R.F.
This is to include but is not limited to: clinical trials of all types, completed research, preclinical research, planned emergency research, ongoing clinical research or research in progress, biologically engineered materials testing, medical and behavioral surveillance and any interventions, assessments, medications, implants, bio-sensors, nanotechnology use, wearable device usage, and location tracking information.

The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.

In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 20 business days, as the statute requires.


Rebecca Brewer

From: Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration

Ms. Brewer,

It appears that you are requesting your medical records. These are handled by our Privacy Office. I am referring your request to that office to process your request.

Thank you,

Michael Sarich, VHA FOIA Director
VHA Central Office FOIA Office
Office of Health Informatics (10A7)
810 Vermont Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20420
Office: 202-461-5329
Fax: 202-495-5087
Email: michael.sarich@va.gov<mailto:michael.sarich@va.gov>

From: Rebecca Brewer

Mr. Sarich,
The records that I seek MAY include medical records.
Specifically: I seek records of my “participation” in, or my medical information being used for clinical trials, medical interventions or scientific research in which my right to informed consent for such endeavors has been, or was waived.
I also want to know under what or whose authority such waivers were created and signed.

I EXPECT to receive documentation concerning my “participation” in the VA’s:
1) Chronic Kidney Disease Global Surveillance Program
2) MESA program - (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis)
3) Hyperlipidemia or Lipidemia Surveillance programs
4) CCTAP (Cancer Clinical Trials Access Program)
5) MBRF affiliations (Midwest Biological Research Foundation)
6) Use of the “Silhouette” diagnostic imaging device and software used
7) Sleep analytics or procedures performed

I anticipate a copy of a diagnostic report dated April 6th, 2017 gathered by the CCIO (Chief Clinical Informatics Officer).
I anticipate documentation of remote telemetry work or training associated with a VA facility in Omaha, Nebraska.
I anticipate documentation of “Pulsed Ultrasound” research or imaging.

Thank you for your time.
Rebecca Brewer

From: Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration

Dear Ms. Brewer,

I apologize that you have had a delay in getting your records. However, you will need to request your records from the Veteran healthcare facility where the research was conducted(at the Release of Information Unit). I have attached two different forms that requires a wet signature in order for you to get the documentation you are requesting. The 10-5345a is the 1st party form that you would fill out and sign if you are requesting the documentation that you would be going to the facility and picking up the documentation. The 10-5345 is the 3rd party form that you would fill out and complete and sign if you want your documents to go to a 3rd party such as: (This form you could drop off at the Release of Information at the facility or you could mail it to the facility, Attn: Release of Information Unit). The form must be completely filled out and signed, or it will be returned to you.
MuckRock News
DEPT MR 62877
411A Highland Ave
Somerville, MA 02144-2516

If that is where you want your health records to go, however, I suggest that you put your name on the address so someone knows who the package goes too. This should be the information you need in order to get the documents you need. Thank you


Vicki L. Bowman, CIPP/G
Privacy Specialist
VHA Privacy Office (10A7B)
(828) 424-8044

VHA Privacy Office Website: