|Submitted||Feb. 28, 2018|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Texas Public Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
Copies of all available emails, documents and email attachments exchanged, from August 1, 2017 and February 28, 2018, between officials at the Texas Attorney General's Office and individuals affiliated with the following organizations and companies. I am providing email domains and email addresses as search terms.
- Judicial Crisis Network (“@judicialnetwork.com”)
- National Rifle Association (“@nrahq.org” ; “@nraila.org”)
- Koch Industries (“@kochind.com” ; “@kochps.com”)
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce (“@uschamber.com” ; “@instituteforlegalreform.com”)
- Federalist Society (“@fed-soc.org” ; “firstname.lastname@example.org”)
- Altria Client Services (“@altria.com”)
- Purdue Pharma (“@pharma.com”)
- Mallinckrodt (“@mallinckrodt.com”)
- Anthem, Inc. (“@anthem.com”)
- Southern Company (“@southernco.com”)
- Peabody Energy (“@peabodyenergy.com”)
- DTE Energy (“@dteenergy.com”)
- Community Choice Financial ("@ccfi.com")
- Advance America (“@advanceamerica.net”)
- American Chemistry Council (“@americanchemistry.com”)
- Monsanto (“@monsanto.com”)
- Hamilton Consulting Group (“@hamilton-consulting.com”)
- Michael Best Strategies, LLC (“@michaelbeststrategies.com”)
- Bruning Law Group (“@bruninglawgroup.com”)
- Cozen O’Connor P.C ("@cozen.com")
- Hunton & Williams (“@hunton.com”)
Please understand “officials” to include individuals holding the following titles: Attorney General; First Assistant Attorney General; Deputy First Assistant Attorney General; Chief of Staff; Director of Scheduling; Deputy Attorney General; and Director of Communications & Senior Advisor.
Please note that we do not want copies of any newsletters you regularly receive from these organizations. We also do not want copies of any materials that specifically pertain to ongoing opioid litigation.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days, as the statute requires.
c: (954) 410-4522
March 9, 2018
Mr. Andrew Perez
VIA E-MAIL ONLY
RE: Public Information Request No. 18-48840
Dear Mr. Perez:
This e-mail is in response to your public information request to the Office of the Attorney General (“OAG”), received by the OAG on February 28, 2018. A copy of your request follows this e-mail.
The OAG has reviewed its files and has located the attached information that is responsive to your request. Please note the OAG has redacted personal e-mail addresses from the attached documents pursuant to section 552.137 of the Government Code and the previous determination issued by the Open Records Division. See Open Records Decision No. 684 (2009) (governmental bodies may withhold certain information without necessity of requesting decision from Open Records Division).
Additionally, the attached documents contained access device numbers that are confidential under section 552.136 of the Government Code, as well as the personal information of an employee of the OAG. As allowed by section 552.024 of the Government Code, this employee has chosen to make this personal information confidential. Because our office is prohibited by law from releasing confidential information to you, we have removed it from the attached documents. Normally, we must request a ruling from the Open Records Division before we can withhold any of the information you requested. However, sections 552.024 and 552.136 allow us to withhold this specific information without requesting a ruling.
You have the right to appeal our decision to withhold this information from you. Instructions for appeal are attached. If you do not want to appeal, you do not need to do anything else. Please note that we are only withholding the specific categories of information that are confidential under sections 552.024/552.117 and 552.136 of the Government Code.
If you have any questions, please contact me at email@example.com.<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.>
Assistant Attorney General
Public Information Coordinator
Office of the Attorney General