|Submitted||July 14, 2018|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the The Kansas Open Records Act, I hereby request the following records:
It has been reported that deputies under Sheriff Jones are carrying NarCan.
Please provide the training policy and medical director policy that you are required to have in place in accordance with The Statewide Protocol for Emergency Opioid Antagonists (NarCan) that requires the following: (if you are not familiar with this it can be found at http://www.pharmacy.ks.gov/resources-consumer-info/naloxone)
First Responder Agency or School Nurse (as outlined in HOUSE BILL No. 2217)
A pharmacist shall provide written education and training materials to the individual to whom naloxone is dispensed,
appropriate to the dosage form of naloxone dispensed, including, but not limited to, all of the following:
1. Risk factors of opioid overdose;
2. Strategies to prevent opioid overdose;
3. Signs of opioid overdose;
4. Steps in responding to an overdose;
5. Information on naloxone, including precautions and contraindications;
6. Procedures for administering naloxone;
7. Proper storage, disposal, and expiration of the naloxone product dispensed;
8. Information on where to obtain a referral for substance use disorder treatment; and
9. The requirements to keep inventory records and report any administration of the emergency opioid antagonist to the
appropriate healthcare provider
10. Any first responder, scientist, or technician that administers naloxone shall immediately summon emergency
medical services, provide information related to the administration to the emergency medical services personnel and
other involved treatment professionals (emergency room or treating physician, as appropriate), and notify the physician
medical director for the first responder agency within 24 hours of administration. Any school nurse that administers
naloxone shall notify/report such administration per the school district’s policies and procedures.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 3 business days, as the statute requires.
The Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office is in receipt of your records request. As soon as I receive the information requested I will contact you regarding release.
Office of Herman T. Jones
Shawnee County Sheriff
In response to your open records request, the Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office has not yet formalized any policies regarding the use of Narcan. There are no policies to produce. Please contact me if you have any further questions.
Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office
There are no files associated with this request.