|Submitted||March 14, 2019|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Washington Public Records Act, I hereby request the following records:
Media reports state that the police departments around the country have made use of Palantir's software (https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2018-palantir-peter-thiel/). Therefore, I am requesting the following records related to the above program:
* Any software and algorithms developed for the implementation of the program. I'm particularly interested in any algorithms that have a public policy outcome, such as providing guidance on a policy or an assessment of an individual. More generally, I would like any software that was developed by or with, given to, used by, purchased or licensed to this agency for implementation of the above referenced program. This would include original source code, any compiled binaries (also known as executables), spreadsheets, program scripts, and other digital materials used to calculate any data in the above program. It would also include the input training data for machine learning algorithms. Collectively, these responsive materials will be referred to as "the software" in the following paragraphs.
* All instructional materials, presentations and presentation materials (including recorded video and audio, PowerPoint files, prepared remarks, and slides formats), and other guidance on the use of "the software." This includes any notes taking during meetings that discussed the use of the software, any explanations (whether internally or externally generated) of how the software works, and any other document that has been used to help explain the use of "the software" to any party, including internal documentation, public relations materials, and executive summaries. This also includes any description of input and output data fields that will aid in understanding the type of information that is submitted to the software, and that is produced by the software.
* A copy of any privacy impact assessments, use policies, standard operating procedures, data retention policies, legal opinions, warranties, non-disclosure agreements, contracts, liability waivers, insurance agreements, Requests for Proposals, Responses to Requests for Proposal, Memorandums of Understanding, Letters of Interest, usage policies, or informal agreements that reference "the software" or otherwise guide it use or the relationship between this agency and the provider or developer of the software.
* A copy of any funding opportunity announcements, grant applications and grantor status/progress reports, reports to legislative bodies, annual reports that mention the use of the Software, as well as audit records, including but not limited to security audits of the software, misuse reports, and reports to oversight bodies.
* A copy of any validation studies conducted with respect to the program or with respect to any software or algorithms used in connection with the program, and a copy of any records pertaining to inquiries for the need of validation studies, or discussion of potential or actual validation studies. By “validation study,” I mean any study designed to assess how accurate the program is in predicting what it is supposed to predict, or to assess whether the program may err in the direction of either under- or overestimating likelihoods or predicted outcomes, or may produce any results that are biased or unexpected in any way.
* For the aspects of the software that require an input, for example, to compute a value, we request a copy of the five most recent sets of data that were used for input, as well as the five most recent outputs of the software, in whatever their native format is. If these inputs or outputs include exempt information, we ask that you exempt only that information which is specifically exempted from law, and provide the other material.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes. It will be used in the course of reporting for Motherboard, VICE’s science and technology website (www.motherboard.vice.com).
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 5 business days, as the statute requires.
--- Please respond above this line ---
RE: Public Disclosure Request#: P039417-031419
Dear Caroline Haskins,
Hello Ms. Haskins, This acknowledges receipt of your public disclosure request P039417-031419 received on March 14, 2019.
We interpret your request as only records regarding Palantir’s software. SPD does not have and has never used Palantir software. SPD has never been given, used, purchased, or licensed Palantir software, nor has it used software developed by or with Palantir. As such, we do not have a record that contains the information you are seeking.
If our interpretation of your request was incorrect, please let us know. If we do not hear from you within 30 calendar days of today’s date, we will assume you agree with our interpretation of your request and close it on that day.
If you have any questions, you may send a message using the Police Records Request Center or call the Public Disclosure Desk at 206-684-5481.
Seattle Police Department
Public Disclosure Unit
SPD receives between 6000 and 7000 public records requests annually and is processing between 900 to 1000 open requests at a time. This may result in a slower than anticipated response to your request. Thank you for your patience.
As a reminder you can login at the Police Records Request Center where you can access Police online information, manage your profile, submit record requests, track your request status, receive and send messages, make payments, view frequently asked questions, and download your records. (https://u8387795.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?upn=S-2BehCBSDSzwVGewhY9Ftkex1NnfCMS7NsuXpbCcEGAH-2FYU41snC8emZsrnfZ4oCeHaK3yIWuMAD3mDpxGYIOdxRo9xcLTKbUiKTVrm7wvSo-3D_QGW3DXJOf-2BOMcRtrM8rUakdyJbd2vSUqMgp10G3Gj9mGx39D0MExA4GSnRPJshzbT7kqzm-2BSFIo8ug6LH3Q4a-2Fr5-2FfoznJINcvsLK0GwqjRcyFQ6Cx5jiMPabtGjfP-2Fh-2FCfhFQIj2kfjv-2BcPMMf1WSz1usoVuafzR2PXYo3V7MDOG3kdcF987Kx22-2FfoIbbF6KP3P1VJAeoF7xUIKgur6VrRnzozFXngGZgLh4uRpxCuAsDxEJjbUcaEI4IRMR3NIuyhk1pkhYH4ANisI3jjlhE6wP2HvJvqa5VVnGROR77beciSGIGc7x63Xyra80qaAwO47jwhOUGoSx8IwHjmYh7RRx37Ry5vzP2BZwcJXPdxfP-2FkDBoKZlgdKnQ-2Ba42z1j1FfuHVkddFO4TtfI31zg-3D-3D) Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your E-mail contacts/address book to ensure delivery of the record center E-mails to your Inbox.
There are no files associated with this request.