|Submitted||Nov. 11, 2019|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the California Public Records Act, I hereby request the following records:
The company DataWorks Plus offers a series of products and tools for law enforcement. They include:
- "FACE Plus," a facial recognition software and case management service
- "FACE Watch Plus," a real-time facial recognition screening tool
- "Biometric ID," a fingerprint, facial, iris, and voice identification tool
- "SAF-ID / RAPID-ID," a rapid biometric identification tool
- "Iris Plus," an iris capture and matching tool
- "Evolution," a mobile fingerprint scanner
- "NIST Manager Plus," a fingerprint archive & management tool
- "Inmate Tracking," armband or biometric tracking tools
- "Tattoo Plus," a tattoo image recognition tool
DataWorks Plus also offers a series of case and information management tools designed to organize and store biometric information captured through a variety of methods.
I am hereby requesting the following records that relate to any and all DataWorks Plus products:
* Any contracts, purchase, orders, invoices, and receipts related to DataWorks Plus products.
* All instructional materials, presentations and presentation materials (including recorded video and audio, PowerPoint files, prepared remarks, and slides formats), and other guidance on the use of DataWorks Plus products. This includes A) any notes taken during meetings that discussed the use of DataWorks Plus products, B) any explanations (whether internally or externally generated) of how DataWorks Plus products, and C) any other document that has been used to help explain the use of DataWorks Plus products to any party, including internal documentation, public relations materials, and executive summaries.
* A copy of any privacy impact assessments, use policies, standard operating procedures, data retention policies, legal opinions, warranties, non-disclosure agreements, contracts, liability waivers, insurance agreements, Requests for Proposals, Responses to Requests for Proposal, Memorandums of Understanding, Letters of Interest, usage policies, or informal agreements between the police department and DataWorks Plus.
* A copy of any funding opportunity announcements, grant applications and grantor status/progress reports, reports to legislative bodies, annual reports that mention DataWorks Plus products as well as audit records, including but not limited to security audits of the software, misuse reports, and reports to oversight bodies.
* Any digital communications including but not limited to emails and text messages) as well as documents, (including but not limited to PDF, word processing, excel, and slide documents) that mention DataWorks Plus products.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes. It will be used in the course of reporting for BuzzFeed News. Therefore, I request that all fees are waived in the processing of this request.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 calendar days, as the statute requires.
Dear Ms. Haskins -
Attached please find our letter asking for additional time in processing your request. Also, could you please clarify the date range you are looking for so that we may better respond to your request?
Thank you for your interest in Riverside County Sheriff's Department records.
Riverside County Sheriff's Department
A 14 day extension is fine, and please limit the time frame from January 1, 2016 to present.
Dear Ms. Haskins-
Please see the attached response to your request.
Sergeant Greg Bonaime
Riverside County Sheriff's Department