|Submitted||May 19, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
Oregon Department of Corrections
2575 Center St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
To Nick Basinger:
Pursuant to the state open records law Or. Rev. Stat. Secs. 192.001 to 192.990, I write to request access to and a copy of:
– Files which include time and date of all instances of death occurring in the offender population between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Files which indicate the total number of individuals in Oregon Department of Corrections (ODOC) custody who died by any cause, separated monthly, from January 2000 to December 2020.
– Monthly population records that include the total number of deaths occurring among people in the custody of the ODOC between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Final reports of death for all individuals in ODOC custody who died between January 2000 and December 2020.
Additionally, I am requesting an opportunity to inspect or obtain copies of any and all ODOC policies, regulations, and procedures, pertaining to...
– Investigations of in-custody deaths.
– Requirements for the performance of an autopsy or post-mortem medical examination of individuals who die while in ODOC custody.
– The reporting of in-custody deaths to other governmental agencies.
– Next-of-kin notification in the event of in-custody deaths.
If your agency does not maintain these public records, please let me know who does and include the proper custodian's name and address.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not. However, we respectfully request a waiver of these fees as we are affiliated with an educational or noncommercial scientific institution, and this request is made for a scholarly or scientific purpose and not for a commercial use.
If you choose to deny this request, please provide a written explanation for the denial including a reference to the specific statutory exemption(s) upon which you rely. Also, please provide all segregable portions of otherwise exempt material.
As provided by the open records law, I will expect your response within seven (7) days. See Or. Rev. Stat. Sec. 192.418(1).
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter.
Policy Director, COVID Prison Project
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Office: (919) 391-7962
340 MacNider Hall | Campus Box 7240
333 South Columbia Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7240
I have attached a letter of acknowledgment for your records. I also noted that someone will be reaching out to you for clarification on your request.
Please see attached response to your records request.
Michelle Whitney Dodson
Correctional Services Division | Offender Information and Sentence Computation Unit
Oregon Department of Corrections
24499 SW Grahams Ferry Rd, Wilsonville, OR 97070
Our Vision: A dedicated team of professionals providing consistent and
accurate service to the stakeholders and customers of OISC.
[cid:image003.png@01D756D8.D5247560]<https://www.facebook.com/ORCorrections/> [cid:image004.png@01D756D8.D5247560] <https://twitter.com/ORCorrections> [cid:image005.png@01D756D8.D5247560] <https://www.instagram.com/doc.orcorrections/> [cid:image006.png@01D756D8.D5247560] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/oregon-department-of-corrections?trk=nav_account_sub_nav_company_admin> [cid:image007.png@01D756D8.D5247560] <https://www.youtube.com/user/ORCorrections>