|Submitted||May 18, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To the OPRA Record Custodian:
Pursuant to the New Jersey Open Public Records Act, I hereby request the following records:
– Those which include time and date of all instances of death occurring in the offender population between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Those which indicate the total number of individuals in New Jersey Department of Corrections (NJDOC) custody who died by any cause, separated monthly, from January 2000 to December 2020.
– Monthly population records that include the total number of deaths occurring among people in the custody of the NJDOC between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Certificates of death for all individuals in NJDOC custody who died between January 2000 and December 2020.
Additionally, I am requesting an opportunity to inspect or obtain copies of any and all NJDOC policies, regulations, and procedures, pertaining to...
– Investigations of in-custody deaths.
– Requirements for the performance of an autopsy or post-mortem medical examination of individuals who die while in NHDOC custody.
– The reporting of in-custody deaths to other governmental agencies.
– Next-of-kin notification in the event of in-custody deaths.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not. However, we respectfully request a waiver of these fees as we are affiliated with an educational or noncommercial scientific institution, and this request is made for a scholarly or scientific purpose and not for a commercial use.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter.
COVID Prison Project
340 MacNider Hall | Campus Box 7240
333 South Columbia Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7240
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following New Jersey Open Public Records Act request, copied below, and originally submitted on May 18, 2021. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
This OPRA is due May 28. Records are still in review. You should have a response by tomorrow.
The Department’s response is attached.
NJDOC Records Custodian
NJDOC Records Custodian,
Thank you very much for your prompt assistance in this matter. We are grateful for all of your help.
The COVID Prison Project
The Department's response was emailed to you on May 28, 2021.
NJDOC Record Custodian