|Multi Request||Police Use of Force Data|
|Submitted||May 10, 2020|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the California Public Records Act, I hereby request the following records:
Data on all use of force incidents. Preferably in CSV file format, or in .txt or excel file format, including all incidents from January 2015 through the date of this request, including a code list or definitions for any variables with coded responses. Please include in this data:
1) Incident number or other unique identifier for the use of force incident;
2) Date, time, and location of the incident, including street address or block;
3) Race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender and weapon type (if any) possessed by each individual on whom force was used;
4) Each type of force used;
5) Injuries sustained or complaints of injury by each individual on whom force was used;
6) Full name of all officers who used force, and their patrol division or unit. If this is not disclosable, please provide a unique identifier for each officer who used force;
7) The disposition of administrative investigations resulting from the use of force (e.g., sustained or founded; not sustained or unresolved; exonerated; or unfounded);
8) Whether there is body-worn camera or other video footage of the incident; and
9) Arrest charges for each individual on whom force was used.
For any information responsive to this request which is unavailable or non-disclosable, identify the specific information and the reason for the unavailability. Where the information requested is unclear, or the request could be modified to reduce the burden of producing responsive documents, please reply to clarify the request or propose a modification.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 calendar days, as the statute requires.
Please see attached extension letter regarding your request for records pursuant to the California Public Records Act.
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following California Public Records Act request, copied below, and originally submitted on May 10, 2020. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
The California Emergency Medical Services Authority received the attached California Public Records Act request via fax on June 5, 2020. The document states the request is for "data on all use of force incidents" by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. The Authority does not possess any records responsive to the request.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Sergy (Esam) El-Morshedy
California Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA)
10901 Gold Center Drive, Suite 400
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Phone: (916) 431-3656
Fax: (916) 322-8765
Please see attached response letter regarding your request for records pursuant to the California Public Records Act.