|Submitted||Feb. 21, 2020|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the The Missouri Sunshine Law, I hereby request the following records:
1. Total circulation of library materials (broken down by material type) for 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. Please provide these as aggregated monthly totals for 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. If possible please include the following details:
-Total physical item circulation (delineated by first time check-outs versus renewals)
-Total number of circulations of electronic materials
-Electronic Content Use
-Total Collection Use
2. Lost library items aggregated monthly for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
3. Patron circulation records including material due dates and material return dates for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. If possible, please provide these as hashed (de-identified but with unique key per patron).
4. Annual itemized library budget 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 including any donations made to the library. Please provide a record of donations collected aggregated monthly for these years. Please also provide a description of how donations are solicited.
5. The total revenue of fines and total revenue of fees collected 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
6. The current library policy on fines and fees and the date this policy took effect as well as dates of changes to the policy between 2016 and today.
7. The definition (if any) your library uses for "active borrower".
This request is part of a research project by the Information School at the University of Washington to better understand how removal of library fines affects library circulation, patron visits, and library budgets. We are committed to open access and plan to make our findings broadly available to the public. If fees cannot be waived please inform us in advance.
We ask that, if possible, you please respond via email with data files in machine-readable format (examples include .csv, .txt., .xls/x) or if applicable text documents or clear, high-quality scanned PDFs. If you cannot reply electronically, please mail us the best quality copies you reasonably can. Your efforts help us ensure broad accessibility and equity.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 3 business days, as the statute requires.
> We received the Sunshine Law Records request on Monday, March 2, 2020, and
> are working to compile the information for you.
> I do not anticipate there will be any fees with generating the
> information, but will let you know if there is a need to print something.
> I hope to have you the information you've requested by the end of the
> Jeana Gockley
> Library Director
> Joplin Public Library
> 417-623-7953 x1021
I apologize that is taking longer than I expected to generate the data you
requested. We are working on it and will get it to you as soon as
Thank you for your patience.
Joplin Public Library
A copy of documents responsive to the request.
Please see below and the attachments for the information you requested.
1) See Attached
2) See Attached
3) We are unable to generate this information. We asked our ILS company to
help and they, too, do not have a way to provide it.
4 & 5) See Attached Revenue Reports; We do not solicit for donations.
6) We do not charge fines or late fees. This policy
effect in August 2018.
7) We do not have a definition for "active borrower."
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Joplin Public Library
Thanks so much for your help with this request! Your response will greatly assist us with our research into the elimination of fines in public libraries.
Research Analyst & Coordinator
University of Washington Information School