|Submitted||Jan. 30, 2018|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to North Carolina Public Records Law (G.S. §§ 132-1 through 132-10), I hereby request the following documents:
All records created and/or collected from January 1, 2014 to present concerning citations issued to non-motorized bicyclist in your municipality. This is to include but not be limited to:
1) the date and time a citation occurred;
2)the street, alley or “side street” where a citation occurred;
3) related reports or narratives;
4) information on resulting arrests;
5) and information on the persons cited/arrested, including demographic (race/age/ethnicity/gender) information.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I would request your response within ten (10) business days.
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Public Records Law request, copied below, and originally submitted on Jan. 30, 2018. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
We do not document whether a citizen who has been cited was a non-motorized bicyclist. We capture time, date, location, charges, person cited, court date, and vehicle, (if there was a vehicle). We do however report monthly to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety per NC GS 143B-903. Below is a website you can access to retrieve statistical data such as:
1. Drivers and Passengers Searched by Sex, Race and Ethnicity
2. Enforcement Action Taken by Driver’s Age
3. Enforcement Action Taken by Driver’s Sex, Race, and Ethnicity
4. Initial Purpose of Traffic Stop by Driver’s Age
5. Initial Purpose of Traffic Stop by Driver’s Sex, Race and Ethnicity
6. Initial Purpose of Traffic Stop by Enforcement Action Taken
7. Initial Purpose of Traffic Stop by Physical Resistance Encountered
8. Type of Search by Basis for Search
Please note that Traffic Stop Statistics will be available to the public 30 days after the close of the prior month. Also note that an agency’s traffic stop data may be low or non-existent for any given month due to the nature of that agency’s law enforcement resposiblities.