|Submitted||Dec. 27, 2016|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to Florida's Sunshine Law (Fla. Stat. secs. 119.01 to 119.15 (1995)), I hereby request the following records:
1. All records regarding the purchase of, acquisition of, installation of, subscription to, payment for, or agreements concerning software designed to access information from social media services;
2. All records that contain any information about the functioning of software designed to access information from social media services that is used or has been used by your university;
3. All records regarding correspondence about or with a company that offers software designed to access information from social media services, including but not limited to all correspondence about or with the companies Brightplaent, Geofeedia, Intrado Inc, LifeRaft, Magnet Forensics, Media Sonar, Signal Corporation, and ZeroFOX;
4. All records regarding the policies that govern access to or use of software designed to access information from social media services;
5. All training materials and all records used to instruct members of your agency in the proper use of software designed to access information from social media services or of the information such software is capable of accessing;
6. All records regarding the sharing with entities outside the university of information obtained from or obtained by using software designed to access information from social media services;
7. All records referencing social media profiles, comments, posts, messages, or events accessed or retained from social media services through use of software designed to access information from social media services.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I would request your response within ten (10) business days.
We have received your requests. We'll let you know if we need any items clarified or have any questions. We'll also contact you if there any charge estimates.
Please note the University of South Florida has been closed since Friday, Dec. 23 and just reopened today, January 3.
University of South Florida Media/Public Affairs Manager
University Communications and Marketing
(813) 974-9047 (office)
(813) 404-3857 (cell)
Begin forwarded message:
Regarding request #4, the only USF policy we're aware of addressing the term "social media" can be found here: http://regulationspolicies.usf.edu/policies-and-procedures/pdfs/policy-0-206.pdf.
A majority of these requests appear to be very broad, involving many different records custodians across the university, with a cost estimate potentially well into the thousands of dollars.
As your requests are currently written, several will include searching the email inboxes of approximately 15,000 university employees, all former employees, or reviewing every current and past university purchasing order.
Would you like to narrow the scope of your request in order to reduce potential cost?
We can narrow the scope of this request to all contracts and agreements concerning software designed to access information from social media services.
Regards, Working Narratives
Thanks for clarifying. Are you requesting only current contracts and agreements or contracts and agreements over a period of time, such as the last 5 years, 10 years, etc.?
Records created since January 1, 2014 should cover it.
Per your request, please see the attached documents. These services are used by communications offices to monitor news media coverage and mentions of the university in the news media.