NRA Lobbying Expenditures CA

Mike Spies filed this request with the California Secretary of State of California.
Est. Completion None
Partially Completed


From: Mike Spies

To Whom It May Concern:

Pursuant to the California Public Records Act (California Government Code ยงยง 6250), I hereby request the following records:

I am requesting a list of all of the National Rifle Association's lobbying expenditures in California from January 1, 2013 to March 14, 2017 that list "Starboard Strategic Inc." as a vendor. The list should include the amount of the expense, the type/purpose of the expense, and the the date of the expense.

The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.

In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 calendar days, as the statute requires.


Mike Spies

From: Secretary of State, Constituent Affairs

Dear Mr. Spies:

Thank you for contacting the Secretary of State with your request for records related to certain National Rifle Association lobbying expenditures.

In reviewing filings from Lobbyist Employer "National Rifle Association - Institute for Legislative Action" ID# E00032, no responsive documents were found listing payments for "Starboard Strategic Inc." The Lobbyist Employer registration and quarterly reports (Form 635 Report of Lobbyist Employer and Report of Lobbying Coalition) from 2013 through 2016 are viewable on our CAL-ACCESS website at The first quarter report for the period of 1/1/2017-3/31/2017 has not been filed yet; the filing deadline is 4/30/2017.

We hope this information is helpful to you. If you have questions about this or another matter related to the Secretary of State's office, please contact us again.


Constituent Affairs
Secretary of State