Alabama Library Challenges (Athens City Schools )

Chris Peterson filed this request with the Athens City Schools of Athens, AL.
Status
Completed

Communications

From: Chris Peterson


To Whom It May Concern:

We are a team of academic researchers studying information access and availability in public schools and libraries. We are contacting you as part of a national effort to help us better understand the scope and substance of the various challenges which arise in the course of administering a public library system or public school system.

Under Alabama's Public Records Law, we are requesting copies of the following public records:

-any complaints, requests, and/or challenges for removal, reclassification, and/or reconsideration of publications including books, magazines, movies, music, and/or other media, along with any associated records, petitions, and/or correspondence since January 1, 2003

-any current collection or curriculum development policy or policies governing your institution(s)

-any records related to Internet filtering, including but not limited to:

-any current acceptable use policies, web publishing policies, or equivalents

-any current contracts with Internet filtering services and/or providers

-any current categories of content which your provider offers to block, along with which categories your library or libraries currently block

-any modifications to the standard configuration of your filter, including lists of sites, services, URLs, keywords, or other identifiers which have been specifically configured as forbidden or allowed (i.e. "blacklists/whitelists")

We will use these records in our research. Please note that we are not asking for registration, circulation, or other private records protected by state law, and you should feel free to redact personally identifiable information from the records you send us, at your discretion.

You may respond to this request by sending electronic documents (e.g. emails, screen captures, spreadsheets, etc) or high-quality scanned PDFs to this inbox. If you cannot respond by email, please fax copies to 206-984-9551, with “MIA” written clearly at the top of the first page. If you do not have any documents responsive to our request, or if you have questions about how to respond, then you may email us at this inbox. In order to assist you in responding to our request, we have also posted guidelines and examples at http://mappinginfoaccess.org.

We understand that there may be fees associated with responding to our request. We ask that you waive any such fees in light of our project’s character, which is non-commercial, academic, open, and firmly in the public interest. If you are unable to waive fees, and if they are in excess of $20, please contact us with an estimate of fees before responding.

Thank you in advance for helping us better understand the important work that you do. If you have any questions about our request or our project, please email us at: team [at] mappinginfoaccess [dot] org.

Sincerely,

Emily Knox
Assistant Professor
Graduate School of Library & Information Science
University of Illinois

Shannon M. Oltmann
Assistant Professor
School of Library & Information Science
University of Kentucky

Chris Peterson
Researcher
Center for Civic Media, Media Lab
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

From: MuckRock.com

To Whom It May Concern:

I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on Jan. 20, 2014. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed.

Thank you for your help.

From: MuckRock.com

To Whom It May Concern:

I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on Jan. 20, 2014. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed.

Thank you for your help.

From: MuckRock.com

To Whom It May Concern:

I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on Jan. 20, 2014. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed.

Thank you for your help.

From: Trey Holladay

We have sent this information at both request you made in March. Please
remove our name from your list and do not contact us again!

WL Holladay
Athens City Schools

Sent from my iPad

>
On Apr 10, 2014, at 4:00 AM, "Chris Peterson"
<requests@muckrock.com> wrote:
>
>
> April 10, 2014
> Athens City Schools
> Athens City Schools
> 313 E Washington St
> Athens, AL 35611
>
> This is a follow up to a previous request:
>
>
>
> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request,
copied below, and originally submitted on Jan. 20, 2014. Please let me
know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further
clarification is needed.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
>
> ---
>
> On March 26, 2014:
>
> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request,
copied below, and originally submitted on Jan. 20, 2014. Please let me
know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further
clarification is needed.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
>
> ---
>
> On March 11, 2014:
>
> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request,
copied below, and originally submitted on Jan. 20, 2014. Please let me
know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further
clarification is needed.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
>
> ---
>
> On Jan. 20, 2014:
>
>
> To Whom It May Concern:
>
>
> We are a team of academic researchers studying information access and
availability in public schools and libraries. We are contacting you as
part of a national effort to help us better understand the scope and
substance of the various challenges which arise in the course of
administering a public library system or public school system.
>
>
> Under Alabama's Public Records Law, we are requesting copies of the
following public records:
>
>
> -any complaints, requests, and/or challenges for removal,
reclassification, and/or reconsideration of publications including
books, magazines, movies, music, and/or other media, along with any
associated records, petitions, and/or correspondence since January 1,
2003
>
> -any current collection or curriculum development policy or policies
governing your institution(s)
>
> -any records related to Internet filtering, including but not limited
to:
>
> -any current acceptable use policies, web publishing policies, or
equivalents
>
> -any current contracts with Internet filtering services and/or
providers
>
> -any current categories of content which your provider offers to
block, along with which categories your library or libraries currently
block
>
> -any modifications to the standard configuration of your filter,
including lists of sites, services, URLs, keywords, or other identifiers
which have been specifically configured as forbidden or allowed (i.e.
"blacklists/whitelists")
>
>
> We will use these records in our research. Please note that we are not
asking for registration, circulation, or other private records protected
by state law, and you should feel free to redact personally identifiable
information from the records you send us, at your discretion.
>
>
> You may respond to this request by sending electronic documents (e.g.
emails, screen captures, spreadsheets, etc) or high-quality scanned
PDFs to this inbox. If you cannot respond by email, please fax copies to
206-984-9551, with “MIA” written clearly at the top of the first page.
If you do not have any documents responsive to our request, or if you
have questions about how to respond, then you may email us at this
inbox. In order to assist you in responding to our request, we have also
posted guidelines and examples at http://mappinginfoaccess.org.
>
> We understand that there may be fees associated with responding to our
request. We ask that you waive any such fees in light of our project’s
character, which is non-commercial, academic, open,excess of $20, please contact us with an estimate of fees before
responding.
>
>
> Thank you in advance for helping us better understand the important
work that you do. If you have any questions about our request or our
project, please email us at: team [at] mappinginfoaccess [dot] org.
>
>
> Sincerely,
>
>
> Emily Knox
> Assistant Professor
> Graduate School of Library & Information Science
> University of Illinois
>
>
> Shannon M. Oltmann
> Assistant Professor
> School of Library & Information Science
> University of Kentucky
>
> Chris Peterson
> Researcher
> Center for Civic Media, Media Lab
> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>
> Filed via MuckRock.com
> E-mail (Preferred): requests@muckrock.com
>
> For mailed responses, please address (see note):
> MuckRock News
> DEPT MR 7755
> PO Box 55819
> Boston, MA 02205-5819
>
> PLEASE NOTE the new address as well as the fact that improperly
addressed (i.e., with the requester's name rather than MuckRock News)
requests might be returned by the USPS as undeliverable.
>
>
>
>
>

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained herein is intended
for the person(s) or company(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged material. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed
to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by replying to the
message and then delete the message and any attachments. Any review,
retransmission,dissemination or other use of, or of any action in
reliance upon, this information by person(s) or company(s) other than
the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited

From: MuckRock

Hello,

Apologies for the multiple emails, but we have not received any documents from Athens City Schools to date. Could you please resend?

Again, apologies for any frustration or inconvenience.

Thank you!

From: Garner Ezell

April 14, 2014

To Whom It May Concern:
Listed below are the responses from the Athens City School District in Athens, Alabama to your inquiries.
Sincerely,
Garner Ezell
Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Athens City Schools
455 US Highway 31 North
Athens, AL 35611
Office: 256-233-6625
Fax: 256-233-6640

Under Alabama's Public Records Law, we are requesting copies of the following public records:

any complaints, requests, and/or challenges for removal, reclassification, and/or reconsideration of publications including books, magazines, movies, music, and/or other media, along with any associated records, petitions, and/or correspondence since January 1, 2003
None

any current collection or curriculum development policy or policies governing your institution(s)
See attachments: Board Policies IDA, IFA, IFAC, IFBE, and IFBEC

any records related to Internet filtering, including but not limited to:

any current acceptable use policies, web publishing policies, or equivalents

See attachments: Internet Use Policy Grades K-4; Internet Use Policy Grades 5-12; Employee Computer Internet Acceptable Use Policy

any current contracts with Internet filtering services and/or providers

See attachment: Internet Filter Contract

any current categories of content which your provider offers to block, along with which categories your library or libraries currently block

See attachments: ACS Elementary Student Filter, ACS Secondary Student Filter, ACS Faculty Filter, ACS Admin Filter

any modifications to the standard configuration of your filter, including lists of sites, services, URLs, keywords, or other identifiers which have been specifically configured as forbidden or allowed (i.e. "blacklists/whitelists")
See attachment: ACS Specific URLs and Blocked Applications

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained herein is intended for the person(s) or company(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by replying to the message and then delete the message and any attachments. Any review, retransmission,dissemination or other use of, or of any action in reliance upon, this information by person(s) or company(s) other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited

Files

pages

Close