|Submitted||May 21, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
Research & Planning Division
Alabama Department of Corrections
301 South Ripley Street
P.O. Box 301501
Montgomery, Alabama 36130-1501
To Rosie Shingles :
Pursuant to the Alabama Open Records Law, § 36-12-40 et seq., I hereby request the following records:
– Those which include time and date of all instances of death occurring in the offender population between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Those which indicate the total number of individuals in Alabama Department of Corrections (ADOC) custody who died by any cause, separated monthly, from January 2000 to December 2020.
– Monthly population records that include the total number of deaths occurring among people in the custody of the ADOC between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Final reports of death for all individuals in ADOC custody who died between January 2000 and December 2020.
Additionally, I am requesting an opportunity to inspect or obtain copies of any and all ADOC policies, regulations, and procedures, pertaining to...
– Investigations of in-custody deaths.
– Requirements for the performance of an autopsy or post-mortem medical examination of individuals who die while in ADOC custody.
– The reporting of in-custody deaths to other governmental agencies.
– Next-of-kin notification in the event of in-custody deaths.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not. However, we respectfully request a waiver of these fees as we are affiliated with an educational or noncommercial scientific institution, and this request is made for a scholarly or scientific purpose and not for a commercial use.
If you intend to deny this request, I will expect to hear from you within the five business days mandated by law. If you choose to deny this request, please provide all segregable portions of otherwise exempt material. Also, if you expect a significant delay in responding to this request, please contact me with information about when I might expect copies or the ability to inspect the requested records.
Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.
Policy Director, COVID Prison Project
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Office: (919) 391-7962
340 MacNider Hall | Campus Box 7240
333 South Columbia Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7240
Please find the request form attached. Thank you for your help with this request.
I am in receipt of your request for information. You will need to mail the $25.00 processing fee to The Alabama Department of Corrections, Research and Planning Division, 301 South Ripley Street, Montgomery, AL 36104. Along with the completed Public Records Request form.
Research & Planning Division
EMAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential. This transmission and files which may accompany the transmission contain information belonging to the Alabama Department of Corrections which is confidential and/or legally privileged. It constitutes a communication within the meaning of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. § 2510 and is Privileged Confidential Information under the Code of Alabama 1975 § 34-3-20. Its disclosure is limited to the recipient intended by the sender. All contents & documents contained or attached are intended only for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, copying or other use of these documents is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message.