On June 26, we held our first COVID Public Info training, giving journalists, researchers, and everyone else tips, tricks, and templates for using transparency laws to dig into public records. We covered ground from adjusting your approach as governments still operate at reduced capacity as well as called out some specific stories that used transparency to dig into key issues.
We’ll be having our next webinar, on executive orders and state-wide policies, soon, and you can register here to get updates on this and other trainings.
The full video is here and sign up for the COVID Public Info newsletter for future updates:
Some of the resources highlighted in the talk:
- FOIA Wiki’s collection of COVID-19 policies
- Spreadsheet of changes to public records and open meetings policies due to the pandemic
- Article analyzing drop-off in educational participation using software metrics
- Investigation into privacy policies
- MuckRock directory of FOIA templates
- List of National Freedom of Information Coalition affiliates, which offer local resources and assistance
- Gumshoe Group, which connects freelancers with legal assistance
- Free Expression Legal Network, which is a network of university-affiliated legal clinics
Sign up below to get notifications for the next session.