|Submitted||Aug. 12, 2019|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Virginia Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
City governments around the country are entering Promotional Discount Agreements with Ring, Amazon's home security camera company. (https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/d3ag37/us-cities-are-helping-people-buy-amazon-surveillance-cameras-using-taxpayer-money) These agreements direct city funds toward providing a discount on Ring products, such as doorbell cameras.
Therefore, I hereby request the following records related to the Ring Promotional Discount Agreement:
1) All calendar invitations, instructional materials, presentations and presentation materials (including recorded video and audio, PowerPoint files, prepared remarks, and slides formats), and other documents that mention Ring devices and/or the Neighbors app. This includes A) any minutes/notes taking during meetings that discussed the use of Ring devices and/or the Neighbors app, B) any explanations (whether internally or externally generated) of how Ring devices and/or the Neighbors app work, and C) any other document that has been used to help explain the use, marketing, or promotion of Ring devices and/or the Neighbors app to any party, including internal documentation, public relations materials, and executive summaries.
2) A copy of any privacy impact assessments, use policies, standard operating procedures, data retention policies, legal opinions, warranties, non-disclosure agreements, contracts, liability waivers, insurance agreements, Promotional Discount Agreements, Requests for Proposals, Responses to Requests for Proposal, Memorandums of Understanding, Letters of Interest, usage policies, or informal agreements between the city and Ring.
3) A copy of any funding opportunity announcements, grant applications and grantor status/progress reports, reports to legislative bodies, annual reports that mention Ring or the Neighbors app, as well as audit records, including but not limited to security audits of the software, misuse reports, and reports to oversight bodies.
4) Any digital communications including but not limited to emails and text messages) as well as documents, (including but not limited to PDF, word processing, excel, and slide documents) that mention Ring or the Neighbors app.
5) Any digital communications (including but not limited to emails and text messages) with Ring representatives.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes. It will be used in the course of reporting for Motherboard, VICE’s science and technology website (www.motherboard.vice.com).
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 5 business days, as the statute requires.
This office has no such agreement and knows of know such agreement. You may want to the check with the local County Attorney's Office, they may know of something.
Mona A. Foley, Certified Master Clerk
Williamsburg & James City County Circuit Court
5201 Monticello Avenue, Suite 6
Williamsburg, VA 23188
The above analysis is not intended to be and should not be construed as providing legal advice. It is offered for your consideration and use to the extent you decide it is helpful. If you require legal advice, it is suggested that you consult with your designated legal advisor.
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments may be confidential and protected by privilege. Access to this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient (or his/her authorized agent responsible for delivering this information to the intended recipient), please notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete this email and any attachments without reading, copying, saving, or forwarding it to others.
No representation is made that this email and any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.
Thank you so much for your help!
There are no files associated with this request.