|Submitted||July 2, 2019|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Florida Sunshine Law, I hereby request the following records:
Records and materials related to the solicitation, acquisition, and use of face recognition technology and related software and services.
This software or services may be provided by Rekognition, Face++, and FaceFirst; this request is applicable to these and any other company providing facial recognition services under consideration or contract with this agency.
Responsive materials include but are not limited to:
• Agreements: contracts (including non-disclosure agreements), licensing agreements, nondisclosure agreements
• Bid records: Requests For Proposal (or equivalent calls for bids), sole source or limited source justification and approval documentation, documentation of selection, and other materials generated in the consideration and selection of the technology in question
• Company relations and communications: records related to meetings or follow-up actions with any vendors, companies, or other private entities marketing face recognition to this agency for immigration, intelligence, law enforcement, or other use.
• Financial records: purchase orders, invoices, and other memoranda and documentation.
• Marketing records: All marketing materials - unsolicited, requested, or otherwise - acquired from vendors of face recognition technology
• Policy records: any policy directives, guidance documents, memoranda, training materials, or similar records governing the use of face recognition technology for immigration, law enforcement, or other purposes. Any memoranda of understanding between this agency and other agencies to share data, access remote systems or other forms of information sharing with external agencies.
• Training records: training material governing the use, sharing, or access to any related data related to or collected by the face recognition software/technology, including the legal standard that is required before using the technology. Documents, should they exist, about training for bias in the use of facial recognition technology.
• Use and function records: Materials that describe the function of the software considered or in use by this agency, including emails, handouts, PowerPoint presentations, advertisements, or specification documents.
• Data: Documents sufficient to describe the source of photos for facial recognition which may include your agency booking photos, other agency booking photos as well as DMV photos. Documents sufficient to show the number of photos in your facial recognition database. Documents that describe the data retention policy of your agency for facial recognition. Documents describing where your agencies use facial recognition technology including at county jails, on body worn cameras, fixed surveillance cameras etc.
Please limit the search to records produced from January 1, 2017 – present. Please include in your search as responsive records: communications, memorandums, background papers, meeting minutes, email exchanges, or presentation materials. If your office has questions about this request, please feel free to direct them to the address associated with this request or call the MuckRock office at 617-299-1832.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days.
We have not purchased this type of equipment, therefore we do not have any responsive documents regarding purchase/bids/contracts/marketing/policy, etc.
To Whom It May Concern:
I am appealing my records request that was sent on July 2, 2019 relating to the Tampa Police Department's use and solicitation of facial recognition software. I do not believe that a reasonable search was conducted with regard to my request and would like for the search to be run again.
As stated in my last email, I am also looking for any communication regarding facial recognition. This includes any unsolicited proposals from facial recognition companies to the Tampa Police Department.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter.
A search was conducted with our Criminal Intelligence Divisions and both confirmed that we do not own or have the equipment in our possession.
Joanne M. Burgess
Police Public Records Technician
Tampa Police Department
411 N. Franklin Street
Legal Unit - 10th floor
Tampa, FL 33602
(813) 276-3762 office
(813) 276-3711 fax
Visit us Online!<http://www.tampagov.net/dept_Police/>
[Description: Description: fbicon]<https://www.facebook.com/TampaPD>[Description: Description: twticon]<https://twitter.com/tampapd>[Description: Description: utubeicon]<http://www.youtube.com/tpdmediarelations>[Description: Description: alrticon]<http://www.tampagov.net/dept_Police/programs_and_services/Alert_Tampa.asp>[Blogicon_sz]<http://tampapd.blogspot.com/>
The mission of the Tampa Police Department is to reduce crime and to improve the quality of life
through a cooperative partnership with all citizens
The information contained in this email and accompanying attachments is intended only for the addressee(s) listed above.
If you are not the intended recipient of this information, any disclosure, copying or distribution of this information is strictly
prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email. In addition, please
note that pursuant to Florida Statute Chapter 119, this or any other written or electronic communication with this office may
be subject to public disclosure unless expressly exempt.