Police Officers Living in Public Housing (New Bedford City Clerk)

Joshua Dankoff filed this request with the New Bedford City Clerk of New Bedford, MA.
Multi Request Police Officers Living in Public Housing


From: Joshua Dankoff

To Whom It May Concern:

Pursuant to the Massachusetts Public Records Law, I hereby request the following records:

1. Rules, policies, or other practice documents concerning residency restrictions for police officers, command staff, and other police staff. If residency restrictions allow for a waiver, then records for each year from 2016 through 2021 that reflect
(a) the number of residency rule waivers applied,
(b) the stated reason for the residency waiver, and
(c) the outcome of the residency waiver.

2. Rules, policies, or other practice documents from your municipality that lay out whether police department staff (including officers) can receive housing subsidies and/or live in public housing, even if they do not qualify under the income guidelines.

3. Records that indicate for each year from 2016 through 2021 how many police department staff (including officers and staff of all ranks) live in public housing, and the name of the housing development where the officer lives. This can either be a snapshot on January 1st of each year 2016 through 2021, or a summary of the entire period

4. Records that indicate housing allowances or other subsidized housing (not already covered in question 3 above) provided to police department staff (including officers and command staff) in your or another municipality.

I also request that, if appropriate, fees be waived as we believe this request is in the public interest, as suggested but not stipulated by the recommendations of the Massachusetts Supervisor of Public Records. The requested documents will be made available to the general public free of charge as part of the public information service at MuckRock.com, processed by a representative of the news media/press and is made in the process of news gathering and not for commercial usage.

I expect the request to be filled in an accessible format, including for screen readers, which provide text-to-speech for persons unable to read print. Files that are not accessible to screen readers include, for example, .pdf image files as well as physical documents.

In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days, as the statute requires.


Joshua Dankoff

From: New Bedford Police Department

Dear Mr. Dankoff,

I am responding on behalf of New Bedford City Clerk's office to your April 5, 2021 request for copies of records pursuant to the provisions of M.G.L. c. 66, section 10 (the "Public Records Law") as well as your follow-up received by the City Clerk's office on July 29, 2021.

I responded on behalf of the New Bedford Police department on April 30, 2021. The response is below and the same response is applicable to the City Clerk's office as well.

After receiving clarification, the City is able to provide the following links in response to item 1 of your request.

The City's collective bargaining contracts including its agreement with the New Bedford Police Union are publicly available online at the City of New Bedford website, specifically at the following link: https://www.newbedford-ma.gov/personnel/contracts/

A searchable copy of the City of New Bedford Code of Ordinances is also publicly available online at the City of New Bedford website, specifically at the following link: https://library.municode.com/ma/new_bedford/codes/code_of_ordinances

There are no responsive records for items 2-4.

You have the right to appeal this determination to the Supervisor of Records under 950 CMR 32.08(1) and the right to seek judicial review of an unfavorable decision by commencing a civil action in the superior court. Your appeal to the Supervisor of Records must be in writing and made within ninety (90) calendar days of this response.

Very truly yours,

Samantha Hakeem
Legal Services Coordinator
City of New Bedford | Office of the City Solicitor
133 William Street, Room 203, New Bedford, MA 02740