|Submitted||May 26, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
Montana Department of Corrections
5 S. Last Chance Gulch St.
Helena, MT 59620
To Carolynn Bright:
Pursuant to the Montana Public Records Act § 2-6-1001 et seq., I hereby request the following records:
– Files which include time and date of all instances of death occurring in the offender population between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Files which indicate the total number of individuals in Montana Department of Corrections (MDOC) custody who died by any cause, separated monthly, from January 2000 to December 2020.
– Monthly population records that include the total number of deaths occurring among people in the custody of the MDOC between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Final reports of death for all individuals in MDOC custody who died between January 2000 and December 2020.
Additionally, I am requesting an opportunity to inspect or obtain copies of any and all MDOC policies, regulations, and procedures, pertaining to...
– Investigations of in-custody deaths.
– Requirements for the performance of an autopsy or post-mortem medical examination of individuals who die while in MDOC custody.
– The reporting of in-custody deaths to other governmental agencies.
– Next-of-kin notification in the event of in-custody deaths.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not. However, we respectfully request a waiver of these fees as we are affiliated with an educational or noncommercial scientific institution, and this request is made for a scholarly or scientific purpose and not for a commercial use.
If you choose to deny this request, please provide a written explanation for the denial including a reference to the specific statutory exemption(s) upon which you rely. Also, please provide all segregable portions of otherwise exempt material.
If access to the information I am requesting will take longer than a ‘reasonable’ amount of time, please contact me with information about when I might expect copies or the ability to inspect the requested records.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated assistance in this matter.
Policy Director, COVID Prison Project
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Office: (919) 391-7962
340 MacNider Hall | Campus Box 7240
333 South Columbia Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7240
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Montana Freedom of Information Act request, copied below, and originally submitted on May 26, 2021. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
There are no files associated with this request.