|Submitted||Jan. 19, 2016|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Under the provisions of the New York Freedom of Information Law, Article 6 of the Public Officers Law, I hereby request a copy of all records or portions thereof pertaining to, or containing the following:
1. All records regarding the purchase of, acquisition of, installation of, subscription to, payment for, or agreements concerning software designed to access information from social media services;
2. All records that contain any information about the functioning of software designed to access information from social media services that is used or has been used by the Buffalo Police Department;
3. All records regarding correspondence about or with a company that offers software designed to access information from social media services, including but not limited to all correspondence about or with the companies Brightplaent, Geofeedia, Intrado Inc, LifeRaft, Magnet Forensics, Media Sonar, Signal Corporation, and ZeroFOX;
4. All records regarding the policies that govern access to or use of software designed to access information from social media services;
5. All training materials and all records used to instruct members of your agency in the proper use of software designed to access information from social media services or of the information such software is capable of accessing;
6. All records regarding the sharing with entities outside the Buffalo Police Department of information obtained from or obtained by using software designed to access information from social media services;
7. All records referencing social media profiles, comments, posts, messages, or events accessed or retained from social media services through use of software deisnged to access information from social media services.
I understand that there is a fee of $0.25 per page for duplication of the records requested; however, this request is a matter of public concern and the materials requested will be made available to the public free of charge as part of the public information service at MuckRock.com, and is not being made for commercial usage. As such, I request that any fees associated with providing requested records be waived. I also request that documents be provided in electronic format if at all possible. Doing so would eliminate the need to copy the materials and provides another basis for my requested fee waiver.
If, however, such a waiver is denied, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request.
As you know, the Freedom of Information Law requires that an agency respond to a request within five (5) business days of receipt of such request. Therefore, I would appreciate a response as soon as possible.
If you determine that some but not all of the information is exempt from disclosure and that you intend to withhold it, I ask that you redact it for the time being and make the rest available as requested. In any event, please provide a notification citing the legal authorities on which you rely if you determine that any or all of the information is exempt and will not be disclosed.
Thank you for your assistance in this matter; I look forward to hearing from you shortly.
The Buffalo Police Department is in receipt of your Freedom of Information
Please allow this e-mail to serves as acknowledgement of same pursuant to
New York Public Officer's law, section 89, entitled Freedom of Information
You request will be researched and you will be notified as to our findings.
Dept MR 2315
PO Box 55819
Boston, MA 02205-5819
The Buffalo Police Department is in receipt of your request for various
records pertaining to social media surveillance.
Be advised that our department has none of the material you have mentioned
in your request.
You may want to check with the Erie County Central Police Services, 45 Elm
St., Buffalo, New York, 14203
There are no files associated with this request.