Eleanor Rose


Anyone know how to request cables between Department of State and US embassies abroad?

I read a page saying you could only do it in hard copy by mail since you have to include a signed statement that you are who you say you are

However I now can’t find that page to check it definitely applies to cables

Anyone have experience in this?


Jack R-W

I don’t know of any rule saying that you need to do that. I went ahead and searched for Muckrock cable requests and found one with responsive documents, so I think you’d be fine. If they try to hassle you, consider it a denial and appeal.

Eleanor Rose

Thanks - yeah gotta conclude I misinterpreted the page I read. Great! Much easier online