We’ve already received a number of wonderful applications to the MuckRock Thiel Fellowship, and now there’s five times as much money to help investigate companies connected to Peter Thiel. Selected fellows will collectively receive over $5,255 in FOIA assistance, funds to pay request fees, and reporting stipends.
We’re incredibly grateful for the support of two institutional sponsors:
- The Outline, a soon-to-be launched publication covering power, culture, and the future (Sign up to read them when they launch).
- Motherboard, one of MuckRock’s long-time editorial partners, which covers technology and the future. Get their newsletter.
We’d also like to thank Tom Longley and several anonymous donors who have contributed $2,225 (some of them contributed via check so do not register in our crowdfunding tool).
If you’re a journalist — whether you work full time for a publication or are a freelancer — we’d love to hear and support your proposals, and we will work with you to craft the fellowship to best fit your needs. If you’re a researcher or someone else with a great idea, we’d also love to find a way to support your work, so please apply.
The first deadline in the rolling application process is Friday, but if you need a little more time to work on your application, just send us an email letting us know.
Thanks to all those who have supported this fellowship, whether financially or by helping spread the word. It’s truly appreciated. If you’d like a little more context on the fellowship, I spoke with On the Media about it last week.
Applicants should email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “MuckRock Thiel Fellowship”:
- Their name.
- A proposal of 300 words or fewer on how they would use the MuckRock Thiel Fellowship to research and illuminate the work of Peter Thiel, or examine a research and illuminate a field in which he has been active.
- A short biography of the applicant, 300 words or fewer, OR the applicant’s resume as an attachment.
- Links to any prior work or other materials that you believe will help MuckRock in understanding why you would be a good fit for the MuckRock Thiel Fellowship.