|Submitted||Oct. 5, 2012|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the state Freedom of Information Act, G.L.M. c.66, §10, I hereby request the following records:
For each school in the district, for the years 2009-2001:
- The number of students evaluated by the district to determine if they qualified for an IEP
- The number of students who qualified for an IEP based on that evaluation
- The number of students initially rejected who received independent assessments and were subsequently placed on an IEP.
I also request that, if appropriate, fees be waived as we believe this request is in the public interest, as suggested but not stipulated by the recommendations of the Massachusetts Supervisor of Public Records. The requested documents will be made available to the general public free of charge as part of the public information service at MuckRock.com, processed by a representative of the news media/press and is made in the process of news gathering and not for commercial usage.
I expect the request to be filled in an accessible format, including for screen readers, which provide text-to-speech for persons unable to read print. Files that are not accessible to screen readers include, for example, .pdf image files as well as physical documents.
In the event that fees cannot be waived, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days, as the statute requires.
I will be away from October 4th and returning on October 9th. If you have an urgent matter, please contact Addie Doherty at 781-446-6210 xt. 4505 or Barbara Newton at 781-446-6210 xt. 4504
The following will serve as a response to your Freedom of Information Request submitted on October 5, 2012:
1) For the years 2009-2011, the number of students evaluated by the school district to determine if they qualified for an IEP was 614.
2) For the years 2009-2011, the number of students who qualified for an IEP based on the evaluation was 359.
3) The information requested on the number of students initially rejected who received independent assessments and subsequently placed on an IEP is not maintained in the ordinary course of business by the Office of Student Services and therefore not
readily available. This would require a manual review of each file listed above in Item #2 and further research and compilation. If you wish to have a cost estimate associated with obtaining this information, please let me know.
We would like an estimate on those costs.
The cost associated with Item # 3 is $3,525.38 which represents a manual review of 359 files at 30 minutes for each file. The staff person capable of performing this review would be the secretary to the Department Head for Special Education at $19.64
Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this request.
There are no files associated with this request.