|Submitted||April 21, 2017|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to Utah’s Government Records Access and Management Act (“GRAMA”), I hereby request the following records:
Any and all statistics, data, reports, audits, policies, and procedures pertaining to the following items regarding sexual assault evidence collection (SAEC) kits (also known as "rape kits") and processing:
• all standard operating procedures regarding the SAEC process
• any written policies or procedures regarding department practices on the acquisition of or handling of rape kit evidence, including protocols for its collection, testing, and delegation and transfer to all other possibly relevant locations, laboratories, or agencies
• the number of kits collected and booked into evidence from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of kits that have been processed by a public or private crime or forensic laboratory or equivalent processing location from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of unprocessed kits in any storage facilities currently under the department’s jurisdiction and control, including those held by medical personnel or at external laboratory locations
• any materials regarding the status or ultimate disposition of cases in which a kit was collected. Please include all available segregable data.
• all audits involving this agency regarding the collection or backlog of SAEC kits
• all proposed alterations or yet-to-be-implemented changes to the policies and procedures regarding the collection, testing, and use of SAEC kits
If there any questions about this request, please feel free to call us at the MuckRock office at 617-299-1832.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 5 business days, as the statute requires.
Dept. MR 36599
411A Highland Ave.
Somerville, MA 02144-2516
I received your request for any and all statistics from the Weber County Sheriff’s Office regarding sexual assault evidence collection kits (SAEC). In the email you sent dated April 21, 2017, you provided a list of 8 questions and I have attached the information that you seek along with the relevant Weber County Sheriff’s Office policies.
Law Enforcement Records
Weber County Sheriff’s Office
721 W. 12th St.
Ogden, Utah 84404
*** This e-mail may contain attachments that are confidential and may be protected by legal, professional, or other privilege. This information may not be disseminated without expressed permission by the original sender. If you are not the intended recipient you should not store it, copy it, re-transmit it, use it or disclose its contents, but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy from your system. This release of record information is from the Weber County Sheriff’s office files only. This does not include other local or state agencies. Use of this information is regulated by GRAMA.***
Thanks so much for your help with this request! I really appreciate it.