Virginia geriatric ex-offender documents (Social Services)

Tom Nash filed this request with the Virginia Department of Social Services of Virginia.


From: Tom Nash

To Whom It May Concern:

Pursuant to Virginia Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request the following records:

- All reports or memoranda detailing the number of ex-offender seeking or receiving services between 1994 and the time this request is processed.
- Any reports or standard operating procedures detailing care or intake for ex-offenders over the age of 50 seeking services issued between 1994 and the time this request is processed.

The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.

In the event that fees cannot be waived, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 5 business days, as the statute requires.


Tom Nash

From: Planter, Joron (VDSS)

Hello Tom,
Do you have a number that I can give you a call at so we can discuss your request?


Joron Planter
Media and Public Relations Specialist
Virginia Department of Social Services
801 East Main Street, Richmond VA 23219-2901
(804) 726-7934<>
[cid:image007.png@01CE56ED.8B625BC0]<> [cid:image008.png@01CE56ED.8B625BC0] <> [cid:image009.png@01CE56ED.8B625BC0] <>

From: Tom Nash

Hi Joron,

You can reach me at (617) 999-5155



From: Planter, Joron (VDSS)

Afternoon Tom,
Attached you will find a spread sheet with the number of recipients who had some type of previous conviction from 2004 to the present who received public assistance (SNAP, Medicaid and/or SNAP). We do not track the information any more specific that what we have provided (i.e. age, gender, race.)

Regarding your request for records or standard operating procedures / intake of recipients receiving services over the age of 50, I recommend you reaching out to the Department of Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS.) They may have some information a little more specific than what we have regarding services provided to elderly ex-offenders. The contact person there is:

A.J. Hostetler <>
804.662.7372 (o)

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.


From: Tom Nash

Thanks so much for your help Joron. I really appreciate it.

Have a great day.