|Submitted||Feb. 26, 2020|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Government Records Access and Management Act, I hereby request the following records:
Public reports state that this police departments in Utah have partnered with Banjo, an AI company. (https://kslnewsradio.com/1918508/utah-company-uses-artificial-intelligence-to-solve-crimes-in-seconds/). The company's contract with the state indicates that it offers a "homelessness" module: https://utah-das-contract-searchsp.s3.amazonaws.com/addl_doc_AR3205_Banjo_Price%20Catalog.pdf
Therefore, I hereby request the following records:
1) All instructional materials, presentations and presentation materials (including recorded video and audio, PowerPoint files, prepared remarks, and slides formats), and other guidance on the use of Banjo. This includes A) any notes taken during meetings that discussed the use of Banjo, B) any explanations (whether internally or externally generated) of how Banjo works, and C) any other document that has been used to help explain the use of Banjo, including internal documentation, public relations materials, and executive summaries.
2) A copy of any privacy impact assessments, use policies, technical explainers or assessments, standard operating procedures, data retention policies, legal opinions or assessments, warranties, non-disclosure agreements, contracts, liability waivers, insurance agreements, Requests for Proposals, Responses to Requests for Proposal, Memorandums of Understanding, Letters of Interest, usage policies, or informal agreements between the police department and Banjo.
3) A copy of any funding opportunity announcements, grant applications and grantor status/progress reports, reports to legislative bodies, annual reports that mention Banjo, as well as audit records, including but not limited to security audits of the software, misuse reports, and reports to oversight bodies.
4) Any digital communications including but not limited to emails and text messages) as well as documents, (including but not limited to PDF, word processing, excel, and slide documents) that mention Banjo.
5) Any case reports in which Banjo was used.
5) Any digital communications (including but not limited to emails and text messages) with Banjo representatives.
Please try to include any other miscellaneous documents that facilitate this police department's relationship with Banjo that don't neatly fall neatly into the above categories.
The requested documents will be used in the course of reporting for Motherboard, VICE Media's science and technology site: www.motherboard.vice.com.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days, as the statute requires.
The Department of Workforce Services is in receipt of your request for
records regarding Banjo and associated documents. The Department has no
records fitting your request.
*Information Disclosure Officer*
P: (801) 526-9603
F: (801) 526-9244
PO BOX 45244, Salt Lake City UT 84115
**** CONFIDENTIALITY: *The information contained in this electronic mail
message and any attachments are covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act; and are intended only for the use of the individual(s) or
entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential information.
*If you are not the intended recipient, *you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, distribution, forwarding, or any action taken in
reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by E-mail reply, and delete the original message from your
There are no files associated with this request.