|Tracking #||2017- 06- 234|
|Submitted||June 24, 2017|
|Due||July 24, 2017|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
Dear FOIA Officer:
1. This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act ("FOIA"), 5 U.S.C. § 552, submitted to the Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC") of the United States Department of the Treasury ("Treasury").
2. I hereby request agency records related to OFAC's December 4, 2001, designation of the following individuals and entities as Specially Designated Global Terrorist ("SDGTs"):
2.1. AL-AQSA ISLAMIC BANK (a.k.a. AL-AQSA AL-ISLAMI BANK), P.O. Box 3753 al-Beireh, West Bank; Ramallah II 970, West Bank [SDGT]
2.2. BEIT EL-MAL HOLDINGS (a.k.a. ARAB PALESTINIAN BEIT EL-MAL COMPANY; a.k.a. BEIT AL MAL HOLDINGS; a.k.a. BEIT EL MAL AL-PHALASTINI AL-ARABI AL-MUSHIMA AL-AAMA AL-MAHADUDA LTD.; a.k.a. PALESTINIAN ARAB BEIT EL MAL CORPORATION, LTD.), P.O. Box 662, Ramallah, West Bank [SDGT]
2.3. HOLY LAND FOUNDATION FOR RELIEF AND DEVELOPMENT (f.k.a. OCCUPIED LAND FUND), 525 International Parkway, Suite 509, Richardson, Texas 75081, U.S.A.; P.O. Box 832390, Richardson, Texas 75083, U.S.A.; 9250 S. Harlem Avenue, Bridgeview, Illinois, U.S.A.; 345 E. Railway Avenue, Patterson, New Jersey 07503, U.S.A.; 12798 Rancho Penasquitos Blvd., Suite F, San Diego, California 92128, U.S.A.; Hebron, West Bank; Gaza; and other locations within the United States; U.S. FEIN: 95-4227517 [SDGT]
3. The following constraints limit this FOIA request:
3.1. Only the OFAC Designation/Evidentiary Package documents related to these SDGT individuals or entities are requested;
3.2. Excluding any documents containing the agency’s deliberative material or recommendations;
3.3. Excluding any documents classified Top Secret (“TS”), Sensitive Compartmented Information (“SCI”), and/or Special Access Program (“SAP”); however,
3.4. Including all of OFAC’s responsive documents that are classified below the TS, SCI and/or SAP levels; for example, any documents marked Unclassified (“U”), Sensitive But Unclassified (“SBU”), For Official Use Only (“FOUO”), Confidential (“C”), Law Enforcement Sensitive (“LES”), and/or Secret (“S”).
4. Although FOIA has always presumed that government records are open to public inspection, the FOIA Improvement Act of 2016, Pub. L. 114-185, prohibits agencies from withholding records unless (1) “disclosure is prohibited by law” or (2) “the agency reasonably foresees that disclosure would harm an interest protected by” one of FOIA’s exemptions. 5 U.S.C. § 552(a)(8)(A). Thus, in addition to FOIA favoring disclosure and requiring its exemptions to be narrowly construed, Section 552(a)(8)(A) prohibits agencies from using their discretion to broadly withhold records merely because they believe an exemption could technically apply.
5. In order to expedite OFAC’s release of the requested documents, please disclose them on an interim, rolling basis as they become available; for example, without waiting for all of the agency’s relevant systems of record to be searched, or all of its relevant records to be processed. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
6. If OFAC’s processing costs for this request exceed $350.00, please notify me in advance so that I might consider paying any additional fees for a complete and accurate set of responsive documents. The requested documents will be made available to the general public and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
7. Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 20 business days, as the statute requires.
Please see the Department of the Treasury's receipt letter pertaining to your recently submitted FOIA request. Please refer to the information provided in the receipt letter when inquiring about your FOIA request.
U.S. Department of the Treasury
Government Information Specialist
Privacy, Transparency, and Records
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on June 24, 2017. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed. You had assigned it reference number #2017- 06- 234.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
The U.S. Department of the Treasury has received the information you submitted to the TREASFOIA@TREASURY.gov<mailto:TREASFOIA@TREASURY.gov> mailbox.
If you are submitting a FOIA request, this courtesy reply does not replace the acknowledgement letter which will include a FOIA case number once your request has been entered into our FOIA Request Tracking System.
If you are seeking the status of a pending FOIA request for which you have a FOIA case number, please call (202) 622-0930 to obtain the status of your request.
Please visit our FOIA Library at http://www.treasury.gov/FOIA/Pages/reading_room.aspx.
Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of the Treasury.