|Multi Request||MPP: updated numbers|
|Submitted||June 12, 2019|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
All relevant information related to the Migrant Protection Protocols ("Remain in Mexico"), including:
1) Number of individuals returned to Mexico under this policy for each month in FY 2019 to date;
2) Percentage of total individuals returned to Mexico in FY2019 to date who were not able to make their immigration court hearing in the U.S.;
3) The average length of wait time for individuals returned to Mexico to have an immigration court hearing;
4) The percentage of total individuals who opted in for the "fear assessment" interview and were still placed in the MPP program;
5) A breakdown of total MPP-affected individuals by age, gender, and nationality;
6) A total number of individuals in the MPP program who arrived as a family unit.
I am requesting these documents as a journalist who has been covering immigration issues for the last five years at The Atlantic. Founded in 1857 and today one of the fastest growing media platforms in the industry, The Atlantic has throughout its history championed the power of big ideas and continues to shape global debate across print, digital, events, video, and audio platforms. With its award-winning digital presence TheAtlantic.com and CityLab.com on cities around the world, The Atlantic is a multimedia forum on the most critical issues of our times—from politics, global, and the economy, to technology, arts, and culture. The Atlantic was named the 2016 National Magazine of the Year and won a National Magazine Award in 2017 for its June 2017 cover story, “My Family’s Slave."
Currently, I'm an immigration reporter at CQ-Roll Call, one of the oldest Congressional publications in the U.S with a track record of award winning non-partisan journalism.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 20 business days, as the statute requires.
A fix is required to perfect the request.
Dear Tanvi, please see FOIA response attached.
Joseph R. Schaaf
Senior Counsel for Administrative Law
Executive Office for Immigration Review