|Submitted||May 21, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
Federal Bureau of Prisons
320 First Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20534
To Gene Baime:
This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act. I request that a copy of the following documents be provided to me:
– Those which include time and date of all instances of death occurring in the offender population between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Those which indicate the total number of individuals in Maine Department of Corrections (MDOC) custody who died by any cause, separated monthly, from January 2000 to December 2020.
– Monthly population records that include the total number of deaths occurring among people in the custody of the MDOC between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Final reports of death for all individuals in MDOC custody who died between January 2000 and December 2020.
Additionally, I am requesting an opportunity to inspect or obtain copies of any and all MDOC policies, regulations, and procedures, pertaining to...
– Investigations of in-custody deaths.
– Requirements for the performance of an autopsy or post-mortem medical examination of individuals who die while in MDOC custody.
– The reporting of in-custody deaths to other governmental agencies.
– Next-of-kin notification in the event of in-custody deaths.
In order to help to determine my status to assess fees, you should know that I am affiliated with an educational or noncommercial scientific institution, and this request is made for a scholarly or scientific purpose and not for a commercial use. We therefore respectfully request a waiver of all fees as the information provided is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of both public health and the activities of the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
If you choose to deny this request, please provide a written explanation for the denial including a reference to the specific statutory exemption(s) upon which you rely. Also, please provide all segregable portions of otherwise exempt material.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated assistance in this matter.
Policy Director, COVID Prison Project
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Office: (919) 391-7962
340 MacNider Hall | Campus Box 7240
333 South Columbia Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7240
The records you seek are not Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) records or your request does not indicate you are seeking records maintained by BOP. Maine Department of Corrections is not a BOP institution. For a list of BOP facilities, please visit our website at: https://www.bop.gov/locations/. If you believe BOP maintains these records, please resubmit your request with any details you have that will enable us to locate these records. Otherwise, you should contact the entity that created the records.
Central Office FOIA Section