|Submitted||Sept. 2, 2017|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act. I hereby request the following records:
Records related to DHS' involvement with the CBS TV show "Hunted" (www.cbs.com/shows/hunted/) between Jan 1, 2015 and Sept. 2, 2017, including but not limited to:
- Communications between DHS and CBS regarding Hunted;
- Communications between DHS and Lock & Key Productions regarding Hunted;
- Communications regarding DHS employee Jermaine Finks' involvement in Hunted;
- Records related to funding provided by DHS to Hunted;
- Records related to giving access to surveillance technology or information for use in Hunted; and
- Agency summaries, reviews, or analysis of the show Hunted;
- Any agreements between DHS and Hunted's producers or CBS regarding Hunted;
- Records showing the DHS employees involved with Hunted; and
- Brief materials between DHS employees regarding involvement with Hunted
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 20 business days, as the statute requires.
Attached is our acknowledgment of your DHS FOIA request. If you need to contact this office again concerning your request, please provide the DHS reference number. This will enable us to quickly retrieve the information you are seeking and reduce our response time. This office can be reached at 866-431-0486.
DHS Privacy Office Disclosure & FOIA Program
Department of Homeland Security
245 Murray Drive, SW
Washington, DC 20528-0655
Telephone: 1-866-431-0486 or 202-343-1743
FOIA website (http://www.dhs.gov/foia)
I would like to appeal the letter I received from DHS saying that my FOIA request "is too broad in scope or did not specifically identify the records which you are seeking."
I believe that I very narrowly constructed my request to a limited number of records that would relate to a specific TV show. I believe it is totally inappropriate for DHS to issue such a letter within two days of receiving the request.
Please instruct the FOIA officers to complete a search for records before making such a determination.