|Submitted||March 28, 2016|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act. I hereby request the following records:
• The manual that this FOIA office uses to process FOIA requests, or, if no manual exists, other guiding documentation/protocols for processing Freedom of Information Requests.
• All guides to agency Freedom of Information Act request regulations (For reference, see the Department of Justice's Guidance on FOIA Regulations [https://www.justice.gov/oip/oipguidance/guidanceagencyfoiaregulations] and the associated template [https://www.justice.gov/oip/templateagencyfoiaregulations])
• All guidelines and regulations regarding the submission and processing of appeals, including but not limited to:
- The appropriate person or position to whom an appeal should be submitted
- The appropriate address to which an appeal should be submitted
- Any appropriate fax numbers and email addresses available for the submission of appeals All guidelines regarding the processing time and procedures for appeals
- All rights related to the submission of appeals, including those related to appeal rights for constructive denial
If any responses include direction to an online location or similarly publicly-available material, please provide direct links or file downloads.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 20 business days, as the statute requires.
March 29, 2016
Dear Ms. Lipton:
This email acknowledges receipt of your Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
request dated March 28, 2016.
Please note that, depending upon the nature of your request, we may be
able to respond to you more quickly if you are able to state your request
more specifically or narrowly, either in terms of the scope of documents
you have requested or by refining the time frame of your request. If you
would like to discuss this option or if you have any questions, please
contact the FOIA Requester Service Center at (202) 694-1650. Please
include the following tracking number in all future correspondence
regarding this matter ? FOIA Request 2016-46
Thank you for contacting the Federal Election Commission.
VIA ELECTRONIC MAIL
DEPT MR 24830
411A Highland Avenue
Somerville, MA 02144-2516
Dear Ms. Lipton,
This letter responds to your request for information from the Federal
Election Commission (FEC) under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) via
email, received by the FEC?s FOIA Requester Service Center on March 28,
2016. You requested the following:
(1) The manual that this FOIA office uses to process FOIA requests or,
if no manual exists, other guiding documentation/protocols for processing
Freedom of Information Requests;
(2) All guides to agency FOIA request regulations and the associated
(3) All guidelines and regulations regarding the submission and
processing of appeals, including but not limited to:
a. The appropriate person or position to whom an appeal should be
b. The appropriate address to which an appeal should be submitted;
c. Any appropriate fax numbers and email addresses available for the
submission of appeals; and
d. All rights related to the submission of appeals, including those
related to appeal rights for constructive denial.
We have conducted a thorough search of Agency records and located the
requested documents. The FEC does not have a manual it uses to process
FOIA requests; however, the FEC?s FOIA Office has a set of documented FOIA
processing procedures, which we are releasing in their entirety. All
other agency records responsive to your FOIA request are already
publically available on the FEC?s website. Specifically, the FEC?s FOIA
regulations can be accessed at: http://www.fec.gov/law/cfr/cfr.html.
Additional information regarding the submission and processing of FOIA
requests and appeals can be accessed at:
http://www.fec.gov/press/foia.shtml. Therefore, your request is granted
You may appeal any adverse FOIA determination. Any such appeal must be
filed in writing and should follow the guidelines set forth in 11 C.F.R. §
4.8. If you have any questions, please contact the FOIA Requester Service
Center at FOIA@fec.gov, or (202) 694-1650. Thank you for contacting the
Peter K. Han
FOIA Requester Service Center