|Multi Request||First FOIA|
|Submitted||May 20, 2019|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
*Documents generated as part of the creation of the FOIA office (defined as whatever department, office, or coordinator is responsible for overseeing and/or processing FOIA requests), whether this was at the time of the agency's creation or the passage of the Freedom of Information Act, to include:
1. The instruction to do so from the Agency, as well as any guidance from the senior leadership
2. Documents discussing proposals and procedures
3. Any legal guidance or analysis produced or acquired by the Agency in response to or as part of the creation of the FOIA office
4. Internal documents from the press office, legislative liaison's office (or equivalent), general counsel's office (or equivalent), director's office (or equivalent) or the newly created FOIA office, reacting to or characterizing the office and it's creation
* A copy of the agency's first perfected (successful) FOIA request
* Copies of other FOIA requests filed before the FOIA request described above
* Processing notes, search slips and response documents regarding the FOIA requests described above
* The first set of guidelines, instructions and/or forms created to control the agency's processing of FOIA requests
* A copy of the agency's first successful FOIA appeal
* Copies of other FOIA appeals received by the agency before the appeal described above
* Processing notes, search slips and response documents regarding the FOIA appeals described above
* The first set of guidelines, instructions and/or forms created to control the agency's processing of FOIA appeals
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 20 business days, as the statute requires.
Dear Ms. Best:
This acknowledges receipt of your Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request (attached) filed with the Federal Maritime Commission (Commission) on May 21, 2019. Your request, pursuant to the Commission rules at 46 C.F.R. §503.31-34, seeking documents generated as part of the creation of the FOIA office, as described has been assigned FMC FOIA number 19-017.
For your information, if there are documents found to be responsive to your request they may contain the following type of information protected from disclosure under the FOIA:
Inter/intra-agency correspondence protected pursuant to FOIA Exemption 5, 5 U.S.C. §552(b)(5)
When corresponding with the Commission regarding this FOIA request, please refer to the assigned FMC FOIA number provided above. Feel free to contact me on my direct line at (202) 523-5726 if you have any questions.
Government Information Specialist
Office of the Secretary
Federal Maritime Commission
The Commission's FOIA Public Liaison is available to resolve any disputes. Her contact information is:
Rachel Dickon, Secretary
Dear Ms. Best:
This responds to your Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request FMC FOIA number 19-017 filed with the Federal Maritime Commission (Commission) seeking documents generated as part of the creation of the Commission's FOIA office, as described.
There are no documents responsive to your request.
With this response, we will consider your request closed. There will be no charge for responding to your FOIA request. When corresponding with the Commission regarding this FOIA request, please refer to the assigned FMC FOIA number provided above.
Administrative appeals should be submitted to the Chairman of the Federal Maritime Commission pursuant to 46 C.F.R. §503.32<http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=9109e9d6d5bedc9383fae368c74ea2a9&mc=true&node=pt46.9.503&rgn=div5#se46.9.503_132>.
Feel free to contact Ian Lane of my staff at 202-523-5725 or me by reply to this email if you have any questions.
Rachel E. Dickon
Secretary/FOIA Public Liaison
Federal Maritime Commission
The Office of Government Information Services (OGIS) offers mediation services to resolve disputes between FOIA requesters and Federal agencies as a non-exclusive alternative to litigation. Using OGIS services does not affect your right to pursue litigation. If you wish to contact OGIS, you may email them at: firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com> or call 1-877-684-6448<tel:1-877-684-6448>.