|Submitted||Jan. 6, 2017|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act. I hereby request the following records:
The latest copy of the CBP Officer Reference Tool (including editing drafts, if applicable).
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 20 business days, as the statute requires.
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on Jan. 06, 2017. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed. As a reminder, CBP is required to response to this FOIA request within 20 business days.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
Dept. MR 31753 Somerville MA 02144
Dear Johnny Wang:
This automated notice acknowledges receipt of your Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) received on 01/17/2017. Please use the following unique FOIA tracking number CBP-2017-023374 to track the status of your request. If you have not already done so, you must create a FOIAonline account at https://foiaonline.regulations.gov. This is the only method available to check the status of your pending FOIA request. (https://foiaonline.regulations.gov/)
Provisions of the Act allow us to recover part of the cost of complying with your request. We shall charge you for records in accordance with the DHS FOIA regulations outlined on the DHS website, http://www.dhs.gov/xfoia/editorial_0579.shtm. By submitting your request, you have agreed to pay up to $25.00 in applicable processing fees, if any fees associated with your request exceed this amount, CBP shall contact you; however, the first 100 pages are free. (http://www.dhs.gov/xfoia/editorial_0579.shtm)
CBP’s FOIA Division is working hard to reduce the amount of time necessary to respond to FOIA requests. Currently, the average time to process a FOIA request related to "travel/border incidents" is a minimum of 6 months. We truly appreciate your continued patience.
For additional information please consult CBP FOIA website please click on FOIA Act Resources or visit (http://www.cbp.gov/site-policy-notices/foia) http://www.cbp.gov/site-policy-notices/foia. (http://www.cbp.gov/site-policy-notices/foia)
This message is to confirm your request submission to the FOIAonline application: View Request. Request information is as follows: (https://foiaonline.regulations.gov:443/foia/action/public/view/request?objectId=090004d2810ffd38)
* Tracking Number: CBP-2017-023374
* Requester Name: Johnny Wang
* Date Submitted: 01/17/2017
* Request Status: Submitted
* Description: I request the latest copy of the CBP Officer Reference Tool (including editing drafts if applicable).
Your FOIA request has been closed as insufficient for one or more of the following reasons:
· Your FOIA request is a third party request and did not include authorization that information on this individual can be released to you. All third party FOIA requests must include a signed G-28 or G-639 form, or a signed statement from the individual verifying that his/her information may be released to you.
· Did not include a date of birth.
· Did not include a full name (and aliases as appropriate) of the individual in which you are seeking records
· Did not include a death certificate (or other proof that the subject is deceased)
· Did not include a clear and detailed description of the records being requested. Please be advised that the FOIA does not require federal agencies to answer inquiries or create records in response to a FOIA request, but rather is limited to requiring agencies to provide access to reasonably described, nonexempt records. As you have failed to reasonably describe the records you are seeking, your request is not a perfected request, and we are unable to initiate a search for responsive records.
* Please provide an explanation of the document(s) you are seeking. "CBP Reference Tool" is not sufficient to assist in search for records responsive to your request.
Please resubmit your FOIA request, along with the required information, by logging into your existing FOIAonline account or go to https://foiaonline.regulations.gov to create an account.
A copy of documents responsive to the request.