|Submitted||Aug. 28, 2019|
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the New Jersey Open Public Records Act, I hereby request the following records:
Public records show that this city has entered into a Promotional Discount Agreement with Ring, Amazon's home security camera company. (https://patch.com/new-jersey/barnegat-manahawkin/ring-brings-surveillance-subsidy-program-stafford) These agreements direct city funds toward providing a discount on Ring products, such as doorbell cameras.
Therefore, I hereby request the following records related to Ring and possible Promotional Discount Agreements:
1) All calendar invitations, instructional materials, presentations and presentation materials (including recorded video and audio, PowerPoint files, prepared remarks, and slides formats), and other documents that mention Ring devices and/or the Neighbors app. This includes A) any minutes/notes taking during meetings that discussed the use of Ring devices and/or the Neighbors app, B) any explanations (whether internally or externally generated) of how Ring devices and/or the Neighbors app work, and C) any other document that has been used to help explain the use, marketing, or promotion of Ring devices and/or the Neighbors app to any party, including internal documentation, public relations materials, and executive summaries.
2) A copy of any privacy impact assessments, use policies, standard operating procedures, data retention policies, legal opinions, warranties, non-disclosure agreements, contracts, liability waivers, insurance agreements, Promotional Discount Agreements, Requests for Proposals, Responses to Requests for Proposal, Memorandums of Understanding, Letters of Interest, usage policies, or informal agreements between the city and Ring.
3) A copy of any funding opportunity announcements, grant applications and grantor status/progress reports, reports to legislative bodies, annual reports that mention Ring or the Neighbors app, as well as audit records, including but not limited to security audits of the software, misuse reports, and reports to oversight bodies.
4) Any digital communications including but not limited to emails and text messages) as well as documents, (including but not limited to PDF, word processing, excel, and slide documents) that mention Ring or the Neighbors app.
5) Any digital communications (including but not limited to emails and text messages) between city government workers with Ring representatives.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes. It will be used in the course of reporting for Motherboard, VICE’s science and technology website (motherboard.vice.com).
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 7 business days, as the statute requires.
Good Afternoon Caroline,
I am in receipt of your OPRA request regarding RING.
It is my understanding Township did not direct any city funds toward providing a discount to RING products.
Would you still like this OPRA request filled?
If so, I will be requesting an extension on the 7 business day response deadline of 30 days pursuant to N.J.S.A. 47:1A-5(i).
Considering the our original 7 business day response deadline is Monday, September 9th, 2019, our new deadline will be Wednesday, October 9th, 2019.
The Officer who handled the RING business communication has since retired, and all of his electronic communications have been archived.
I am setting up a meeting with our IT Department Head to review his electronic communication, but the meeting date has not been set.
If you still wish to attain this information through this OPRA request, kindly let me know.
Captain James R. Vaughn
Stafford Township Police Department
260 East Bay Avenue
Manahawkin, N.J. 08050
(609) 597-1189 Extension 8419
Hi! Thanks for reaching out. Yes please, I would still like the request to be filed.
Good Afternoon Caroline,
Your OPRA request is completed and it is quite a large packet. It would be best to mail to you. May I do so. Please advise me of your mailing address. Thank You.
Linda A. Martin
260 E. Bay Avenue
Manahawkin, NJ 08050
609-597-1000 ext 8526
Good Morning Caroline,
Please see the attached response from the Stafford Township Police Department per your OPRA request dated 08/29/2019.