It is a clone of this request.
|Submitted||April 4, 2018|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the The Missouri Sunshine Law, I hereby request the following records:
Any and all statistics, data, reports, audits, policies, and procedures pertaining to the following items regarding sexual assault evidence collection (SAEC) kits (also known as "rape kits") and processing:
• all standard operating procedures regarding the SAEC process
• any written policies or procedures regarding department practices on the acquisition of or handling of rape kit evidence, including protocols for its collection, testing, and delegation and transfer to all other possibly relevant locations, laboratories, or agencies
• the number of kits collected and booked into evidence from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of kits that have been processed by a public or private crime or forensic laboratory or equivalent processing location from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of unprocessed kits in any storage facilities currently under the department’s jurisdiction and control, including those held by medical personnel or at external laboratory locations
• any materials regarding the status or ultimate disposition of cases in which a kit was collected. Please include all available segregable data.
• all audits involving this agency regarding the collection or backlog of SAEC kits
• all proposed alterations or yet-to-be-implemented changes to the policies and procedures regarding the collection, testing, and use of SAEC kits
If there any questions about this request, please feel free to call us at the MuckRock office at 617-299-1832.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 3 business days, as the statute requires.
Your Sunshine Law request has been received and will be forward for further review.
The City of St. Louis, Police Division acknowledges your submitted Sunshine Law request.
For your awareness, I have included the link for the City of St. Louis, Police Division Crime Laboratory:
SLMPD Crime Laboratory<http://www.slmpd.org/CrimeLaboratory.shtml>
Crime Laboratory. Nationally accredited by the American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors/Laboratory Accreditation Board (ASCLD/LAB), the Metropolitan Police Department’s Crime Laboratory is one of the premier laboratories in the state of Missouri.
Also, the City of St. Louis, Police Division Crime Laboratory participates in a federal grant called the "DNA Capacity Enhancement and Backlog Reduction Program" set forth by the Department of Justice. I encourage you familiarize yourself with the guidelines of this grant to obtain an understanding of what a backlog is defined as.
All of the rape kits submitted as evidence, within our jurisdiction, are screened within the allotted provision set forth in this grant.
Given this knowledge, would you like to submit an amended Sunshine Law request? I can only assist with record production requests within St. Louis City, Police Division's jurisdiction.
Jessica Luna M.S.
Sunshine Law Coordinator
City of St. Louis
1915 Olive Street
St. Louis, MO 63103
Some further statistics are being provided:
• the number of kits collected and booked into evidence from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed. 2820
• the number of kits that have been processed by a public or private crime or forensic laboratory or equivalent processing location from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed. 2800
Sunshine Law Coordinator