|Submitted||Aug. 30, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Pennsylvania Right to Know Act, I hereby request the following records:
1) All contracts between the university and Naviance and/or PowerSchool. This should include the statements of work related to the contracts.
2) All agreements between the university and Naviance and/or PowerSchool regarding the purchase, sale, sharing, transfer, or other use of student data. This applies to both personally identifiable student data and anonymized or de-identified student data. It also applies to data for students enrolled at the university as well as those not enrolled (i.e., prospective students, applicants, former students, etc.)
3) A data dictionary/library or comparable list of data containing all the data fields contained in Naviance and/or PowerSchool products used by the university. Please note, I am not requesting the actual data but rather documentation of the data fields.
4) All user manuals, handbooks, or other instructional or promotional material provided to the university and its staff by Naviance and/or PowerSchool regarding its/their products.
5) All university policies and instructions for staff regarding the use of Naviance and/or PowerSchool products.
6) All documentation provided to the university by Naviance and/or PowerSchool regarding its sale, sharing, or transfer of student data (both personally identifiable or de-identified) with third parties (e.g., the National Student Data Clearinghouse, College Board, etc.).
If you have any questions about any aspect of this request or would like to discuss ways to streamline or adjust the request, please do not hesitate to contact me.
I ask that all fees be waived as I am a journalist and intend to use the requested records to publish articles in the public interest. In the event you choose to impose fees, I request a detailed breakdown of the fees, including the hourly wage of each employ involved and an explanation justifying the employee hours required to fulfill the request.
Should you choose to reject this request or redact portions of it, I ask that you provide a detailed breakdown of the statutory exemptions and associated case law underlying your decision to withhold each/any portion from public review.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 5 business days, as the statute requires.
My office received your recent request for records. The Pennsylvania State University is not a “Commonwealth Agency” or “Local Agency” as defined under Pennsylvania’s Right-To-Know law<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.openrecords.pa.gov%2FRTKL%2FAbout.cfm&data=04%7C01%7Cnvg5267%40psu.edu%7Ced1d0c2681c94d26a23e08d96bd00fda%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C637659363654268487%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=JzncoIXk2it8aXlOBySo2d5RleIE3pxcNNZyQSVeLl4%3D&reserved=0>, and the documents you have requested are not public records under Pennsylvania law.
Natalie Grosse | Associate General Counsel
The Pennsylvania State University
Office of the General Counsel
227 West Beaver Avenue, Suite 507 | State College, PA 16801
Phone: 814-867-5332 | email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> | Fax: 814-863-8469
IMPORTANT WARNING: This message and its attachments may contain information that is confidential, privileged, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Do not distribute, forward, or retransmit without the prior approval of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you are prohibited from disclosing, printing, distributing, or saving this message. If you have received this message in error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (including any and all attachments), destroy any hard copies you may have created, and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.
There are no files associated with this request.