California Police Data Collection (Palmdale Police Department)
|Submitted||Aug. 16, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
From: Samuel Sinyangwe
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the California Public Records Act, I hereby request the following records:
1. the total number of use of force incidents reported by the police department, separated by year and by type of force used from 2013-2020 (for example: 15 taser incidents in 2018, 27 taser incidents in 2019, 3 baton incidents in 2013, 18 baton incidents in 2014, etc.)
2. the total number of civilian complaints alleging any form of law enforcement misconduct that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year (for example: 8 complaints in 2016, 2 complaints sustained in 2016, 4 complaints in 2017, 1 complaint sustained in 2017, etc.)
3. the total number of civilian complaints alleging law enforcement use of excessive force that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year.
4. the total number of civilian complaints alleging biased policing or racial profiling that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year.
5. the total number of civilian complaints alleging criminal conduct that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year.
6. a list of all officer involved shootings that were directed at a person from 2013-2020 (excluding shootings of animals and accidental discharges that are not directed at a person).
7. all information reported to the FBI’s National Use-of-Force Data Collection program to date.
If only partial information is available responsive to one or more of these requests, please provide all of the information that is available.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 calendar days, as the statute requires.
From: Palmdale Police Department
Thank you for your email. The public records email is designed to address requests for documents that fall under the California Public Records Act. The Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s (RR/CC) office has deemed your request as not falling under the purview of the California Public Records Act as the information you are requesting is not housed or recorded with the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s office.
Los Angeles County does not have a centralized department that houses all public records for the entire County. The information you are seeking may be files with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. The public records contact for the department is email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Thank you for contacting Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk.