It is a clone of this request.
|July 29, 2020
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Ohio Open Records Law, I hereby request the following records:
1) Copies of all user guides, handbooks, technical manuals, and training material (including videos) in your agency's possession regarding facial recognition system(s). These systems are commonly provided by vendors including, but not limited to, NEC, Dataworks Plus, Clearview AI, Cognitec, and others. The entirety of this request should be construed to include facial recognition systems provided by commercial vendors or developed internally.
2) Copies of all audit logs for your agency's facial recognition system(s) from Jan. 1, 2020 until the date this request is processed. Facial recognition vendors commonly include daily, weekly, or monthly audit log capabilities in their products and the U.S. Department of Justice recommends that all law enforcement agencies maintain audit logs for facial recognition systems (see: https://it.ojp.gov/GIST/1204/Face-Recognition-Policy-Development-Template-For-Use-In-Criminal-Intelligence-and-Investigative-Activities). If the department's facial recognition system provides options for the time period covered in the audit logs, I ask that you provide daily reports (rather than weekly, monthly, etc.)
3) All reports detailing aggregated usage/transaction statistics for the department's facial recognition system from May 1, 2020 until the date this request is processed. Commercial facial recognition systems include the ability to easily view these daily, weekly, or monthly aggregate reports, which often detail the number of queries per day, number of daily users, number of photographs/facial templates uploaded to the database, etc. If the department's facial recognition system provides options for the time period covered in the aggregate usage or transaction statistics, I ask that you provide daily reports (rather than hourly, weekly, monthly, etc.)
4) Any documents (this includes screenshots of program dashboards) detailing the number of photographs or facial templates included in the database linked to the department's facial recognition system as of the date this request is processed.
I ask that all fees be waived as I am a journalist (examples of my recent work can be found at toddfeathers.com) and I intend to use the requested records to publish articles in the public interest and not for any commercial purpose.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter.
I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days.
Please find attached a receipt letter to your current records request with BCI. Note that at this time we are working remotely due to COVID. We will get these records to you within a reasonable amount of time.
Sincerely, Christine Shuff
Bureau of Criminal Investigation, Administrative Assistant
Office of Ohio Attorney General David Yost
Office number (740) 845-2182
Fax number (740) 845-2020
* Please note that, in adherence to best practices brought about in response to COVID-19, the Ohio Attorney General's Office moved to a "remote work" status effective March 18, 2020. All members of the office remain available remotely during normal business hours. Thank you for your patience.
Please see attached a letter regarding your public records request.
MacKenzie S. Clayton
Paralegal - Constitutional Offices
Office of Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost
Office number: 614-728-8121
Fax number: 866-818-6354
Confidentiality Notice: This message is intended for use only by the individual or entity to whom or which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by telephone.
You have received 4 secure files from email@example.com.
Use the secure links below to download.
Please find included in this secure transmission the responsive records along with a response letter.
Sincerely, Christine ~
Secure File Downloads:
Available until: 25 August 2020
Click links to download:
Response letter.pdf ,154.75 KB - [Fingerprint: 03a54d1d916e8ca379a9fdcdec5772ae]
FR log.xlsx ,19.52 KB - [Fingerprint: b7af2eda9bc6b61ec10da87ef51a662c]
Facial Recognition Presentation 2282013.pptx ,4.19 MB - [Fingerprint: faf3e1cedd0ffd48774082aa44566ad0]
OHLEG_Rules_Regulations.pdf ,405.36 KB - [Fingerprint: 7e9634fdc94c45e22dff2ac0a8445f9e]
You have received attachment link(s) within this email sent via Secure File Transfer. To retrieve the attachment(s), please click on the link(s). To learn how your company can benefit from Accellion Secure File Transfer, please visit http://www.accellion.com
Please verify your e-mail address
We need to verify your email address so that we can create a valid Ohio Attorney General's Office Secure File Transfer account for you.
Please click on this link to verify your email address.
This verification link expires within 168 hour(s). If you are unable to verify within that time frame, please click https://filesend.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/a/wva/KZI08888Z0rLyuJzSi1M7Hux38EmCKyj1111597075807 to request a new verification code.