|Submitted||Aug. 18, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the South Carolina Public Records Law, I hereby request the following records:
1. the total number of use of force incidents reported by law enforcement, separated by year and by type of force used from 2013-2020 (for example: 27 taser incidents in 2019, 16 taser incidents in 2020, 3 baton incidents in 2019, 4 baton incidents in 2020, etc.)
2. the total number of civilian complaints alleging any form of law enforcement misconduct that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year (for example: 8 complaints in 2016, 2 complaints sustained in 2016, 4 complaints in 2017, 1 complaint sustained in 2017, etc.)
3. the total number of civilian complaints alleging law enforcement use of excessive force that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year.
4. the total number of civilian complaints alleging biased policing or racial profiling that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year.
5. the total number of civilian complaints alleging criminal conduct that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year.
6. all information reported to the FBI’s National Use-of-Force Data Collection program to date.
7. a list of all officer involved shootings that were directed at a person from 2013-20 (excluding shootings of animals and accidental discharges that are not directed at a person).
If only partial information is available responsive to one or more of these requests, please provide all of the information that is available.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 15 business days, as the statute requires.
You have requested quite a bit of historical data in this FOIA request. That portion of the FOIA would be quite time consuming to assemble due to the need for employee search time. We anticipate 30-40 hours of search time at the employee's hourly rate of $33.29. That comes out to between $990 - $1,320. We would require a 20% deposit before we commence work on this, with the balance being due upon completion. The deposit is $264.00.
I will tell you that moving forward, the Police Department will be storing future data in a new computer system which would make collection relatively easy to assemble. If you would like to revise your request due to the ease of collection data for this year alone (and moving forward), your costs would be cut significantly. Please advise how you would like for us to proceed.
City of North Charleston
2500 City Hall Lane
North Charleston, SC 29406
Please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.