|Multi Request||COVID-19 Exploited by Malicious Cyber Actors|
|Submitted||April 22, 2020|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the New York Freedom of Information Law, I hereby request the following records:
* Records mentioning, describing or generated in response to CISA Alert AA20-099A, FBI/IC3 Alert I-032020-PSA, or the CDC alert titled "COVID-19-Related Phone Scams and Phishing Attacks"
* Records mentioning, describing or generated in response to COVID-19 related phishing attempts, such as those described in the CDC alert, FBI/IC3 Alert I-032020-PSA and CISA Alert AA20-099A
* Records mentioning, describing or generated in response to fake CDC emails, such as those described in FBI/IC3 Alert I-032020-PSA
* Records mentioning, describing or generated in response to APT groups using the COVID-19 pandemic as part of their cyber operations, such as those described in CISA Alert AA20-099A
* Records mentioning, describing, or generated as part of or in response to the assessment that the above activities' "goals and targets are consistent with long-standing priorities such as espionage and “hack-and-leak” operations", as described in CISA Alert AA20-099A
I am a member of the news media and request classification as such. I have previously written about the government and its activities, with some reaching over 100,000 readers in outlets such as Gizmodo, MuckRock, Motherboard, Property of the People, Unicorn Riot, and The Outline, among others. As such, as I have a reasonable expectation of publication and my editorial and writing skills are well established. In addition, I discuss and comment on the files online and make them available through non-profits such as the library Internet Archive and the journalist non-profit MuckRock, disseminating them to a large audience. While my research is not limited to this, a great deal of it, including this, focuses on the activities and attitudes of the government itself. As such, it is not necessary for me to demonstrate the relevance of this particular subject in advance.
As my primary purpose is to inform about government activities by reporting on it and making the raw data available, I request that fees be waived.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 5 business days, as the statute requires.
Your request FOIL-2020-056-06814 has been successfully submitted to the New York City Police Department (NYPD).
The details of your request are shown below.
Request Type: Other Request
Attached File: COVID-1920Exploited20by20Malicious20Cyber20Actors207C20CISA.pdf: COVID-1920Exploited20by20Malicious20Cyber20Actors207C20CISA.pdf (https://a860-openrecords.nyc.gov/response/1007771)
Requester's Contact Information
Street Address (line 1):
Street Address (line 2):
You can view the request and take any necessary action at the following webpage: https://a860-openrecords.nyc.gov/request/view/FOIL-2020-056-06814. (https://a860-openrecords.nyc.gov/request/view/FOIL-2020-056-06814)
The New York City Police Department (NYPD) has denied your FOIL request FOIL-2020-056-06814 for the following reasons: (https://a860-openrecords.nyc.gov/request/view/FOIL-2020-056-06814)
The Freedom of Information Law allows access to existing documents and does not necessitate the creation of a document. I am unable to provide access to these documents on the basis that your request does not reasonably describe a record in a manner that would enable a search to be conducted by the New York City Police Department.
Please visit FOIL-2020-056-06814 to view additional information and take any necessary action. You may appeal the decision to deny access to material that was redacted in part or withheld in entirety by contacting the agency's FOIL Appeals Officer: (https://a860-openrecords.nyc.gov/request/view/FOIL-2020-056-06814) firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 days. (mailto:email@example.com?subject=FOIL-2020-056-06814%20-%20Appeal)